My first SFF build

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I decided that my watercooled Q9550 rig was big, ugly, and not needed seeing as I don't game any more, so I decided to build a SFF system to replace it. Having said that, being based around an i5 760 it is actually a bit of an upgrade in the CPU department.

Anyway, specs for now are:

- Gigabyte H55N-USB3
- Core i5 760
- 4gb OCZ Gold DDR3
- ATI HD4350, just a cheapo card to get me going. May upgrade this to a proper card at some point, but as I don't game on my PC any more I may just stick with it.
- Samsung SN-T083C Slimline Slot-loading DVD/RW (not installed yet, still waiting on it's arrival).

I have recycled my 3.5" HDD for now, but will be getting an SSD before long.

Some pics of the build:

mitx3.jpg

mitx4.jpg

mitx5.jpg

mitx8.jpg

mitx9.jpg

mitx10.jpg

mitx11.jpg

Loving it so far, I have mildly o/c the CPU by running the base-clock at 152mhz, I've left turbo enabled so get 3.6-3.8gz under load. Stable so far, but load temps are a bit toasty so will invest in some better cooling.

It's a lovely little system though, very pleased :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Looks a nice build - not too cramped

What sort of temps?

Idles nice and cool, around 35-40c across all four cores (I have speedstep enabled), but under load (running LinX) it gets up to around 85c across all four cores. The stock cooler isn't brilliant, so I'll be upgrading it asap.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Nice build. What CPU Heatsink are you thinking of buying? Also, is the PC noisey on the desk?

Not sure yet, I am thinking of sqeezing a H50 in there. It's not noisy at all really, the loudest thing is my ancient HDD, fans are almost inaudible.

Cram an H50 in with push/pull, go on you know you want to! Have managed it in an SG05, and also with the DVD tray and drive. Had to remove the 2.5" mount from the bottom of the tray but it's doable.

Nice build btw, I'm seriously toying with an H55N/i5 with mine in the not-too-distant.

Associate
Cram an H50 in with push/pull, go on you know you want to! Have managed it in an SG05, and also with the DVD tray and drive. Had to remove the 2.5" mount from the bottom of the tray but it's doable.

Nice build btw, I'm seriously toying with an H55N/i5 with mine in the not-too-distant.

LOL... I'll show you crammed M8 :D. Gigabyte H55N-USB3; Intel i5 655K; Indigo Extreme ETI (OMFG); Laing DDC Ultra; Bitspower Mini Water Tank; Stealth 120 rad; custom made rad shroud (notice how rad is off to the right allowing for better airflow plus full length GPU to be used); 256GB Crucial Real SSD; 300GB Seagate Momentus XT HDD; EVGA GTX 460 SC; Koolance VID-NX460 waterblock; Koolance CHC-122 mobo block; Koolance CPU 360 CPU block and Imon HD screen in front of case that sits inside case fan housing! Now that's tight!!! Temps... 29c idle, 52c load.

p1030043c.jpg

p1030040wy.jpg

p1030018i.jpg

p1020996s.jpg

p1030034n.jpg

You'd be amazed how much you can actually fit in one of these ickle boxes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom