Tell me about the 3.0 and 3.2 v6 (Vauxhall)

Man of Honour
Can't be many, the police use loadssss of them in their vectra panda cars

Stunning logic there, the police use them because they are available at favourable prices and are reasonably capable not neccessarily because the engine is reliable on the used market at 10 years old!

And you wont find a V6 in a Panda car. You'll need traffic cars etc for those.

Associate
An elite is for wafting along. If you are getting the 3.2 then you want to be looking at the mv6 or even plod spec mv6s. The plod motors had LSD and a lower ratio at the back hence faster acceleration but it will rev higher at motorway speeds.

Associate
Not all Plod spec cars had the LSD.

Almost certain that the 3.2 was available in the Elite too.

Ah, thought the plod ones were LSD, thanks :) The 3.2 is available in the Elite, I was assuming that he was after something that handled a bit better.

Other general things is to check for the cambelt & tensioners (they are due at 40k). Also check the condition of the oil and the surrounding block for any signs of a leak. What happens with a large number is they are left too long with crummy oil, this eventually blocks the breathers and causes an oil leak out the gaskets. Pretty easy to check.

Also check the running temp when going down a motorway. If it takes ages to get upto temp, then the thermostat is on its way. Reason I mention is I just did mine which would heat up fine in town, but take ages on the motorway. Swine of a job.

Another is to check the front tyres on the inside edge for excessive wear. The Omegas eat front wishbones. Lemforder ones are £120 iirc.

Soldato
from what i've been told by coppers the reasons the cars are nails in such a short period is on the advanced driving course they get taught to drive around in a gear or 2 lower so the engines are revving more as they have to be if anything goes wrong they can go from the off straight away. not sure how true that is but every copper whos took the course was marked down if they werent in a lower gear for response so er....

avoid the police ones i think lol.

Soldato
Oh god, don't touch the Police ones.

I've heard stories from Police mechanics that who put you off ex police cars for life. Sets of brake pads every 5,000 miles anyone?

Yes, they've been well maintained, but you've also got to factor in that they have almost certainly been used much harder than say a fully spec'd Elite that has most likely only pottered around the motorway network. The police ones also tend to come with quite a depressing spec.

Just get an elite. I don't know why anyone else would bother with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom