Spec me a £200-£250 build?

Associate
Looking for a nice starting point for my career with computers.

I was looking at the Primo Submission prebuild from OcUK but i got advised to build from scratch.

Thanks Rustyy.

Soldato
  • Looking for a nice starting point for my career with computers
  • i got advised to build from scratch
  • Spec me a £200-£250 build?
rustyy.gif

• ASUS M4A78LT-M Product Page (AMD® Phenom™ II X6 Compatible)
  • AMD® Sempron™ Overclocking & Unlocking Review
  • Antec 200 Product Page (Thermally Advantaged Chassis)

Soldato
Hello Rustyy :)

Looking for a nice starting point for my career with computers
What do you mean exactly by "career with computers"?

• Spec me a £200-£250 build?
  • i cant afford that atm
  • i'll just buy the Primo then when i get the moeny i'll change the parts :)
Have you heard the saying . . . "Buy Cheap, Pay Dear" :D

If you a hardware enthusiast I would avoid buying that Primo system and save up the extra money . . . the Primo appears to use a poor chassis, it also appears to use a poor unbranded PSU, it also appears to use a old AM2+ ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 V7 with basic specs and no overclocking options . . . its really not the way you should be going if you want your money to go a long way . . . Its not often you will find me encouraging people to spend more money but if you want to do this right you need to get a good chassis, a good PSU and a good motherboard right away . . . these are the pieces you will not be changing often! ;)

If you get the £159.99 inc "Primo Submission" you will end up paying more money in the long run ££££ . . . . don't do it . . . . keep saving! :cool:

Soldato
I wouldnt bother with the "Primo Submission" to be honest. Save some money up and then have a look. A the very least you should look at the "Primo Drone."

Seriously woundnt waste your money on the submission!!

ed; too slow again!

Associate
OP

What do you mean exactly by "career with computers"?
By this I mean I want to Design websites and maybe a compnay from home building Performance PCs

Have you heard the saying . . . "Buy Cheap, Pay Dear" :D

If you a hardware enthusiast I would avoid buying that Primo system and save up the extra money . . . the Primo appears to use a poor chassis, it also appears to use a poor unbranded PSU, it also appears to use a old AM2+ ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 V7 with basic specs and no overclocking options . . . its really not the way you should be going if you want your money to go a long way . . . Its not often you will find me encouraging people to spend more money but if you want to do this right you need to get a good chassis, a good PSU and a good motherboard right away . . . these are the pieces you will not be changing often! ;)

If you get the £159.99 inc "Primo Submission" you will end up paying more money in the long run ££££ . . . . don't do it . . . . keep saving! :cool:
I'm a Crap saver though! :( Reckon you could Spec me a CPU, PSU and Mobo for a good price as a starting Point.
Your advice was helpful made me see the light i suppose my Laptop will do for now until My Rig is made, I'll then keep saving up for things bit by bit :) But yeah thanks and HI :)

EDIT: This Good for a start?
bask.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Rustyy :)

By this I mean I want to Design websites and maybe a company from home building Performance PCs
Ok that sounds good . . . If your interested to learn about building P.C's then you come to the right place . . . just be careful you don't get the OverClocking sickness and start wanting a £1500 computer after reading too many reviews! :p

I'm a **** saver though!
Yup its not an easy skill to learn . . . in your boots just right now you would be better off spending £250-£300 max to get your first proper system together instead of buying a £170 pre-build but not being happy and then spending another £50 . . .then another £60 . . . .then another £50 . . . . then another £70 etc etc

These are the mistakes are novices make and I would hope we can help you avoid them . . .

Reckon you could Spec me a CPU, PSU and Mobo for a good price as a starting Point
I already did (post #3) . . . that system gives you a great "building block" . . . the £27.99 CPU is perfect for a beginner and with some luck "may" unlock into a DualCore . . . if it doesn't then it can be OverClocked and will have to do for the moment . . . the chip I really want you to get is the AMD® Athlon™ II X3 440 but sadly that costs £60 which is too rich for your budget . . . the Sempron 140 is easiliy good enough to begin and can be sold off in a month or two for £25 and serves a purpose as a starter chip, nothing else has to be changed and its easy to swap-out a chip . . .

That AMD® motherboard is perfect for you and your future needs . . . its got built in graphics to get you going and has masses of other technology built in . . . it can also support every single AMD® processor so if in 12 months time your starting to need lots of extra processing power you can easily remove your chip and buy a new one! . . . DDR3 . . . loads of SATA ports . . . gigaBit Lan . . . awesome OverClocking BIOS . . . PCI and PCI-e slots . . . loads and loads basically for under £50 . . . its a "steal" :D

The £32.99 PSU is branded by Corsair and 400 watts is more than enough power for you right now and will even be enough if you add a reasonaby powerful GPU like a Radeon HD 4850 or Geforce 8800GT which can be had for not a lot of money . . .

And lastly the chassis . . . in the spec above is a decent Thermally advantaged Antec 200 . . . for the money it offers a lot of potential and will allow you to add even more powerful and hot hardware in the future without worrying . . . its not to everyones "Aesthetic" taste but it does the job its meant to do . . . Thermally advantaged chassis sit the PSU at the bottom of the case where its nice and cool and all the heat "rises" to the top of the case where it is extracted by a fan in the case roof . . . heres a couple of Thermally advantaged chassis for you to choose from . . . have a look and see what you think! :cool:

Antec 200 Two Hundred

£34.99 inc

OcUK Medusa Case

£36.99 inc

Silverstone PS02B Precision

£39.99 inc

Coolermaster Elite 430

£41.99 inc

Silverstone SST-PS03B Precision

£42.99 inc

Antec 300 Three Hundred

£43.98 inc

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help Wayne its much appreciated I'll let you know of my build progress :)

One more Question, The OcUK Zeus case, Good buy or not?

Soldato
bask.jpg

The OcUK Zeus case, Good buy or not?

No, the OcUK Zeus is not "thermally-advantaged" and again comes with an unbranded PSU? . . .

Pick one of the chassis posted above (post #9) and match it with a quality branded PSU (like the Corsair CX 400W specc'ed above) . . . also the AMD® Athlon™ II X2 260 (£58.74) is not the best choice when you could get the AMD® Athlon™ II X3 440 for an extra £1.26 . . .

For the budget your working with you can't really afford an AMD® Athlon™ II right now! :(

AMD® Sempron 140

£27.99 inc

AMD® Athlon™ II X3 440

£60.00 inc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Think i might go for the Medusa Wayne then that AMD mobo and the Athlon II X3 440 I'll Buy them first then i just need RAM i have a 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II HDD.

Why you buy a new mobo do you get the Wires with it or do they come with the components?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato

Think i might go for the Medusa Wayne then that AMD mobo and the Athlon II X3 440 I'll Buy them first then i just need RAM i have a 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II HDD
Ok if you can afford it . . . I don't think you have much faith in the AMD® Sempron 140 idea? :p . . . if it does unlock that will be the best £27 you will spend . . . if it doesn't unlock it will be still more than good enough for you to start with and will overclock, give you time to set-up your system and learn how the BIOS works etc . . . then when all that is done there will be even faster and more affordable processors for you to buy and it will be easy to sell on that chip for little loss ££ . . . your choice though as you gotta do what your most comfy with . . . if you can get the extra £32 then the AMD® Athlon™ II X3 440 is a great processor for the money! . . .

It certainly helps that you have a SATA HDD to get going with! ;)

rustyy02.gif

Why you buy a new mobo do you get the Wires with it or do they come with the components?
When you say "the Wires" do you mean SATA cables? . . . if so yes you normally get at least two SATA cables! :cool:

Associate
OP
Sweet I also have a DVD-ROM Drive for now i dont really burn much atm its mostly CDs and i have a Decent enough CD Burner also.
My dad has a decent DVD-R Driver for now until i need one but that look Great
Might just go with this until funds come :p
aeth.jpg

Should do me fine i think I'll just buy them as they come starting with the case then mobo, cpu etc.

Soldato
Pretty awesome what a couple of hundred quid can buy you now...I haven't been keeping up with developments so much. When did Silverstone start making such cheap cases? :o

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom