OCZ Vertex2 Pro 200GB - Failure... x2

Associate
Bought 2 of these for use at work, thankfully still in the testing phase. One arrived DOA, the other failed after 3 weeks, both with the same issue. They're detected by the bios, but not in windows or other OS/OS installation. Also not found by the ssdupate util. For £800 (low end) enterprise drives, I was expecting a little more, to be quite frank.

I guess we'll just have to wait for intel to pull finger on larger capacity drives :(

Associate
Sure its not something else? Is the BIOS up to date? I find it unlikely that two drives would fail. OCZ are really good for customer service so you will get a prompt response and resolution, well I did.

Associate
Bought 2 of these for use at work, thankfully still in the testing phase. One arrived DOA, the other failed after 3 weeks, both with the same issue. They're detected by the bios, but not in windows or other OS/OS installation. Also not found by the ssdupate util. For £800 (low end) enterprise drives, I was expecting a little more, to be quite frank.

I guess we'll just have to wait for intel to pull finger on larger capacity drives :(

I have had two Vertex’s fail in the last 18 months the first failed in just under a year the other after six months, I was going to buy the IBIS drive but the failure rate put me off, I now have a Crucial SSD, so I am holding my breath to see how long that lasts.

The VERTEX’s just died, to start with it would loose windows files then BSOD, and when I tried to sanitary erase them “they died” what gets me is that OCZ says that they are 1.5 million hours before failure.

Not sure if I would but OCZ SSD’s again, OH and another thing after a year you have to return your faulty SSD to the Netherlands for a replacement, which took 2-3 weeks.

Associate
OH and another thing after a year you have to return your faulty SSD to the Netherlands for a replacement, which took 2-3 weeks.

This non-UK RMA malarkey is getting a bit annoying. I had to RMA an OCZ power supply to the Netherlands too, and that cost a packet because of the weight.

I also had to RMA a Sandisk sdhc card to Czech Republic last week, and had to chance it with non-trackable/signable mail, as it was not worth the cost of sending it trackable. Time will tell whether I actually get a replacement, or whether it will be 'lost in the post'...

I intend to make whether the company has a UK RMA process a key part of my buying decision in future.

Associate
I also had to RMA a Sandisk sdhc card to Czech Republic last week, and had to chance it with non-trackable/signable mail, as it was not worth the cost of sending it trackable. Time will tell whether I actually get a replacement, or whether it will be 'lost in the post'...
You should be fine with the Sandisk, Czech post is apparently really good. It did take Sandisk ages to send me a replacement, along with a bit of badgering, but they did get back to me eventually

Soldato
This non-UK RMA malarkey is getting a bit annoying. I had to RMA an OCZ power supply to the Netherlands too, and that cost a packet because of the weight.

I intend to make whether the company has a UK RMA process a key part of my buying decision in future.

I had to do the same with a Sandisk SD card, after getting an email with the returns information on it. I sent the card off in the post and I assume that they must test it thoroughly as it has been about six months now. I'm sure that it will be ready to send back to me soon :D
This is where I sent that card to...

ModusLink International s.r.o.
SanDisk RMA Department
CT Park Brno, Building 2
Turanka 110
62700 Brno -
Czech Republic

When my OCZ PSU failed after 18mths I copied some stuff that I found from OCZ's website which stated that the warranty would be covered through the retailer. With this printed went to my local dealer, who were very good, and they offered to either send it off for me or give me back what I paid for it. I had my money back and bought a Corsair PSU instead.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sure its not something else? Is the BIOS up to date? I find it unlikely that two drives would fail. OCZ are really good for customer service so you will get a prompt response and resolution, well I did.

Logged the job yesterday, mid-afternoon and not a response yet, they're getting closer & closer to the 24hr target they mention.

I've checked the SSD in its Server & 2 different PCs and its not detected in any scenario. The Server that the 100GB Vertex 2 Pro that we initially bought for the Proof of Concept locked up this morning, with some IO errors in the logs, looks like that one is on its way out too. OCZ need to re-badge the devices as they clearly aren't ready for the enterprise.

Caporegime
When my OCZ PSU failed after 18mths I copied some stuff that I found from OCZ's website which stated that the warranty would be covered through the retailer. With this printed went to my local dealer, who were very good, and they offered to either send it off for me or give me back what I paid for it.

That's the case with all manufacturers, not just OCZ. As much as most retailers will try to wash their hands of any responsibility, the fact is here in the UK they are obliged to deal with faults, not fob you off to the manufacturer.

In some cases you might prefer to deal with the manufacturer (MS, for example), but in other cases you should just insist that that the retailer take the goods back (whether they want to or not, they +have+ to).

Associate
OP
you should just insist that that the retailer take the goods back (whether they want to or not, they +have+ to).

I think thats what we'll do. They were bought from a major UK etailer, and I think all 3 of the SSDs are going back... we cant rely on them, and whilst failures are expected and tolerated, when 3/3 devices show signs of failure its entirely unacceptable :(

Back
Top Bottom