Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I have my server, working fine at the moment with the original 1gb in.. installation of win 2008r2, win7 ultimate and xp all installed and works fine, (installed each at a time on seperate OS drives so can swap OS to play with)

Now when i bought it i ordered 4gb non ecc memory 2x2gb sticks (ddr3 pc1333c 2g), removed the 1gb stick put these in and restarted, all 3 OS's on seperate drives wouldnt book past the loading windows part or 4 coloured flag, it would freeze and reboot. Bit weird that all three would do that..

So i bought some more sticks 2x2gb 4gb ocz ddr3 low sticks and the same again..

Ive loaded optimal defaults in the bios.. Ive tried reinstalling the OS's with the ram in and wont get to the setup, gets stuck on same place.

The only time all installs or running OS's work is when i put the 1gb back in, i even tried it with one ecc 1gb stick and one of the non ecc sticks and still the same..

Whats wrong here? putting 2 ocz sticks or the other pair i have and rebooting in the real world shouldnt really through up this... so now i got 8gb of ddr3 memory but using the original 1gb hp one.

Kingston KTH-PL313E/2G works fine both wih win 7 and WHS.

Associate
ive also tried turning off the acpi in the bios and still doesnt boot

A few things:
1) Is the memory you bought rated to run at 1.5 volts as opposed to the 1.6+ needed by some enthusiast brands?

2) Are you getting BSODs with the 1GB stick or just the 2GB ones?

3) Mixing the 1GB and 2GB sticks won't work as you can't mix ECC and non ECC memory.

4) You didn't mention if you've tried just one of the 2GB sticks with the other slot empty?

Otherwise it is looking like you could have a faulty server.

I dumped a couple of the cheapest sticks I could find in and they've worked fine and passed memtest overnight.

Crucial CT25664BA1339 / 2GB / PC3-10600 / 1333Mhz / DDR3 / 240pin DIMM / Desktop

Last edited:
Associate
A few things:
1) Is the memory you bought rated to run at 1.5 volts as opposed to the 1.6+ needed by some enthusiast brands?

The OCZ pair are pc3 12800 [email protected] pn:ocz3ob1600lv4gk

2) Are you getting BSODs with the 1GB stick or just the 2GB ones?

I only get BSOD with any of the 4 2gb sticks, with the 1gb on its own in either slot it works perfect....

3) Mixing the 1GB and 2GB sticks won't work as you can't mix ECC and non ECC memory.

4) You didn't mention if you've tried just one of the 2GB sticks with the other slot empty?

Ive had each one of the 2gb sticks mixed in pairs, same pairs, singles in either slot and still wont go...

ive had the 1gb in either slot and works fine.

oh and the other pair are Module specification: 240Pin Unbuffered-DIMM Non ECC
Pin layout: 128M x8
Transmission bandwidth: 10600MB/Sec(PC3-10600)
CL value: 9
Working voltage: 1.5V ± 0.75V

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, the network is connected - I checked the logs and several updates are installed from the net before the install hangs.

Are you getting as far as the screen where you have the option to download the latest updates or proceed without them? If you are then make sure you don't download them. Let the installation complete and then update it.

Associate
I have 2x KVR-1333D3E9S/2G Kingston 2 GB/PC3-10600/Unbuffered/ECC

You can get it for £18 a stick if you shop around, it's ECC and it will definitely work.

Soldato
Linux users - which kernel driver are you compiling for the sata chipset?

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ says...

10024391 Yes ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] ahci v2.6.25-

But it just fails with kernel panic and in the past this has been due to me getting the wrong sata chipset etc...

Soldato
Update, sorted. Anyone using USB will need rootwait and bootparams kernel options.

Someone mentioned sticking a drive in the, 3 1/2 bay and reply was it wasn't worth it because there is only 1 other port that is meant for the 5 1/4, what about the esata, or is it a shared internal port?

Associate
Anyone know where I can find 2k3 storage drivers for this? Just I've got in a load of them at work and it's not detecting the drives, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to F6 it and install them that way.

Soldato
Anyone know where I can find 2k3 storage drivers for this? Just I've got in a load of them at work and it's not detecting the drives, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to F6 it and install them that way.

The other option is to just stick them in IDE mode in the BIOS, most people seem to be reporting this as being just as quick as the AHCI mode.

Soldato
I'm definitely going to order one of these servers. However, I wish to upgrade the RAM to 4GB, or, better still, use the existing stick and have 5GB. Could you make a recommendation as to what RAM I should buy, if OcUK don't stock it, could you post the part number so I can go hunting.

Many Thanks

Associate
EVILGRIN..

reguarding the 4gb ram...

In the end, the 2x2g set i 1st had didnt let and OS boot, then the OCZ pair wouldnt let it boot, so in the end i thought i'd buy a stick from the place i bought the server from, so if it didnt boot again, i could say the server came from you and the ram your ad recommended does work for me either so i could then stop wasting money buying memory when it could have been the machine itself...
But i did buy from servers plus the 4gb kingston non ecc single stick and it worked perfectly..
Model No. KVR1333D3N9/4G

so i dont know where the real problem lies, either ram of machine, OS's etc, but now it works ive given up trying..

Back
Top Bottom