Upgrade from HTC Desire..Nexus S?

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for some opinions on my next android upgrade.

I started with android with a hero, went to a desire. Love the system and briefly explored WM7 but all setup on Google (email/contacts/calender/apps) so will be sticking to android.

My contract with tmobile was up earlier this month, but wanted to wait for HTC's wonderful MWC announcment, where I thought I would see my next phone. Not really impressed.

Been looking at the Nexus S. I love have the latest android, and have rooted my desire. Rooting is great, but would prefer to just have a perfect working latest version asap. Not that fussed on HTC Sense, prefer other launchers so not tied to HTC.

Hate the look of the SGS2, the big square button looks silly. Not a fan of Moto. The new Desire S doesn't look like much of a change, graphics still behind the Nexus S.

Is a Nexus S a worthy upgrade? The LG jobby would annoy me as i would hate the software and have to root.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Man of Honour
The Nexus S is a decent phone and its running nice stock Android, but its old technology now.

Its a shame you dont like the SGS2 as that is the logical choice here, its the new flagship Android phone by a comfortable margin and will be better than anything else for a good while.

The Desire HD is worth a mention, its a beefed up Desire and works extremely well, its about on par with a Nexus S (you can easily argue its better or worse) and has the HTC software as a bonus if you want it. The downside is the battery can drop fast if you dont configure the phone correctly but you are probably used to charging every day anyway.

But, provided you are happy with the specs, the Nexus S should suit you fine. Its more than perfect with regard to the software at least :)

I assume you dont like the iPhone 4, that could suit you well?

Associate
The Nexus S is a decent phone and its running nice stock Android, but its old technology now.

what!? not nexus one but nexus s. made by samsung pretty much the same phone as samsung galaxy s just with a newer version of andriod.

samsung = andriod 2.1
nexus = 2.3

mate has nexus s, good phone much more snappier than my hero. BUT one issue he seems to have is the apps just crash. i dont know how often they crash, all i know i asked him he aint got advanced task killer and he said he didnt need it they all just crash.

Man of Honour
Yes, you read it right. The Nexus S (and the Galaxy S) is old technology now, the only appeal of it is the fact its the Google dev phone :)

It will be a LOT snappier than your Hero, the Hero is a terrible trainwreck of a phone.

Associate
I have had my Nexus S for 3 weeks now and it has been great so far.

I got mine at mobiles.co.uk on Orange on a 2 year contract for £25.54 a month (with 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb internet, the phone was free. But for more mins (600 mins) at the same monthly plan with T-mobile its £29.99 for the phone. The phone arrived quickly for me (Ordered friday night and arrived Monday morning!)

However, consider the newer dual core phones such as the Galaxy S2 are better overall performers and that your Desire is no slouch! Possibly go on a rolling contract for a bit if your happy to keep your current phone?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I asked Tmob what they could do for me, they are coming back to me tomorrow to see if I can get the nexus s. Retentions mentioned they can buy phones from CPW. Never heard that one before, but going to wait till tomorrow to see what he can do.

The SGS2 does look quite smart, but has some cons in my eyes..

Front buttons - just looks naff.
Running Samsung software - which means I will have to root as it will probably annoy me. Maybe they need the extra core to run this!?

What difference can an extra core really make? Am used to charging every night, so as long as it lasts a day, i'm happy. Performance wise... isn't that like sticking a merc engine in a fiesta on a 30mph road?

Again thanks, still thinking about what to do. Not sure if I'm just trying to convince myself to getting the nexus s!

Man of Honour
As a fellow Desire owner with an expired contract (On Giffgaff atm for a tenner a month) I'd recommend you simply dont bother. It's all to easy to get caught up in upgrade fever, obsessing over the latest paper specs but in the real world there is very little the current 'best' Android phones can offer you that your Desire cannot.

Keep hold of it for as long as you can, then when you do sign another contract, you maxmise your chances of benefiting from a nice set up upgrade wise.

I'm waiting for the true successor to the Desire - the phone thats as big a jump as the Desire was from my N97. Anything less and I just dont see the point in commiting yourself to a £30+ a month plan for 2 years.

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for some opinions on my next android upgrade.

I started with android with a hero, went to a desire. Love the system and briefly explored WM7 but all setup on Google (email/contacts/calender/apps) so will be sticking to android.

My contract with tmobile was up earlier this month, but wanted to wait for HTC's wonderful MWC announcment, where I thought I would see my next phone. Not really impressed.

Been looking at the Nexus S. I love have the latest android, and have rooted my desire. Rooting is great, but would prefer to just have a perfect working latest version asap. Not that fussed on HTC Sense, prefer other launchers so not tied to HTC.

Hate the look of the SGS2, the big square button looks silly. Not a fan of Moto. The new Desire S doesn't look like much of a change, graphics still behind the Nexus S.

Is a Nexus S a worthy upgrade? The LG jobby would annoy me as i would hate the software and have to root.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Wait it out a little bit longer. We're going to see a new generation of super phones soon, with dual core processors. You'll only get buyer's remorse if you get a new phone right now :)

Soldato
I would say there isn't much of a benefit to upgrade from your Desire. The Nexus S and the newer dual core ones aren't going to make apps a whole lot better than what you currently have tbh.

It's probably worth having a think about keeping it and using a cheap SIM, lots of offers out there. For example, I'm currently on a T-Mobile SIM only contract, £7.50, unlimited data, texts and 600 minutes. Under £100 a year for that ;)

Treat yourself at the end of summer if your Desire is really boring you that badly!

Soldato
What difference can an extra core really make? Am used to charging every night, so as long as it lasts a day, i'm happy. Performance wise... isn't that like sticking a merc engine in a fiesta on a 30mph road?

That's my thoughts too. It's fine having two cores but no apps need it! By the time android sorts out the fragmentation issue so that all phones run on the same version and it therefore becomes a more viable programming platform, most of the apps in my experience are just simple ones that don't need the power.

You could get the galaxy s2 but by the time google release a few new versions of android, samsung will release a galaxy s3 and dump support for the s2 meaning u can't use it anyway as you will be stuck on the old version.

Going for the nexus s means you can always use the latest version and when google decide to update to a version of android that actually needs two cores you can buy the new google phone at that time.

Hopefully the next major android release will stop manufactures playing with the software and allow end users to just update from google directly. Then android will flourish as one app will work on loads of devices without issue.

Soldato
Having now seen what delights are headed our way, I think I'll stick with my Desire and let the contract run once it's due for upgrade in June.

As Fox said, I want something that is going to provide a jump, not a refresh.

Back
Top Bottom