Stats sigs:
EOC Stats sigs
Fancy image sigs :cool:
Other:
Folding@home server status

------------------------------

Down again this week but this should make us feel better:

1fel1x.jpg

500 million!!!!! :eek::cool::cool: Congrats guys, excellent effort all round :)

Not much happening with me, only folding on bigadv and one 460 now.

Soldato
Thanks for the news once again - good work.

I blame Ba for the downfall in production this week :p

Also, I've had a bit of a mare with my folders in the office lab, someone decided to tidy things up and pull random network cables out the back of machines in there - needless to say they'll be off work for a few weeks while their legs heal. :)

Man of Honour
I also had a bit of a dip last week while I was away, but back to full steam ahead again and my average looks to be picking up to 250+K or so

Soldato
Oooh, And I just sneak into the top 10 for points and production :D.

Thanks for the news!

Don't forget to update your clients folks! If you use GPU tracker, download the new client or you will lose BigADV points!

Associate
had it over 5 but as its constant I have it at 4.5Ghz at the moment, to get >=4.6 I needed to up the voltage a little and it didnt seem to make that much difference. Happy with 4.5Ghz for 24/7 use.

Soldato
OP
had it over 5 but as its constant I have it at 4.5Ghz at the moment, to get >=4.6 I needed to up the voltage a little and it didnt seem to make that much difference. Happy with 4.5Ghz for 24/7 use.

I've got mine at 4.5 as well, seems about the max reasonable I can get without putting too much voltage through it. :)

Associate
Yeah I was looking at some review on tomshardware and it was also one of the most efficient speeds to run at taking into account how quickly it completed the test and the power used. I assume as F@H is purely CPU based it will probably be the best speed to run at for ppd per watt.

Associate
Ok will try and get Hydra up and running for next weekend, if tonight goes well at work i should have the case finished(ish) well enough to have it painted;)

Associate
If I keep quiet, hopefully no one will notice I'm back in the Folding camp :)

Third in production and my rac is rising - since I sold all my GPU's I don't expect to break 70k.

Associate
Thanks for the news dekez.
I know that SandyBridge is damm fast with F@H but after trying to find out as much as I can about Bulldozer and especialy looking at the Cinebench results (dont know how accurate they are but they are suppose to be from AMD) it is looking like it will blitz SandyBridge at F@H. Cinebench is seriously accurate at multi-threaded performance I know I use C4D 11.5
Really looking forward to the arrival of Bulldozer, would love to go back to AMD, they have just lacked the speed per watt for DC projects since Core2Duo appeared.
sculptor:)

Man of Honour
Sandybridge isn't that much faster clock for clock than Bloomfield imho, just that you can clock it higher. If you want good results you need more cores as bigadv scales almost linearly with cores.

Not sure if Folding needs floating point or if its all integer though, if its integer should be ok with Bulldozer but if its FP then Bulldozer might be a bit weak

Associate
Not sure how Bulldozer stacks up for floating point as its 256 bit FPU is shared between two cores but it can execute two 128 bit floating point operations simultaneously :confused:

Seems from some posts i read on other forums that Linux may offer a performance advantage over windows in folding bigadv with the new A5 core.

Nothing definitive yet tho.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure how Bulldozer stacks up for floating point as its 256 bit FPU is shared between two cores but it can execute two 128 bit floating point operations simultaneously :confused:

Seems from some posts i read on other forums that Linux may offer a performance advantage over windows in folding bigadv with the new A5 core.

Nothing definitive yet tho.

OK Biffa youve lost me there, however Cinebench does seem to operate in a similar way to folding, both take full advantage of each core. AMD say a 50% improvement over an i7 950, that would put it level with an i7 980 in Cinebench.
As long as Bulldozer clocks to a decent high speed and AMD are good with the pricing, it may just turn out to be the choice CPU for folding.
Ive always used Cinebech as a rough guide for what a CPU performs like in folding and so far its been as near as damm it spot on.
Just think that peeps seeing the high PPDs from Sandybridge may be tempted to go for it now instead of waiting a week or two for Bulldozer to appear.
Its easy to make the wrong choice when you dont know what the choices are.
sculptor;)

Man of Honour
Bulldozer doesn't have equal numbers of floating and integer cores. Yes it has 8 cores, but it only has 8 integer cores, it only has 4 floating point cores which are shared. I don't know how much emphasis Folding puts on floating point vs integer maths or how it will affect performance. Thats what I meant. :)

Soldato
Interesting to see the difference now in how much a WU is worth in terms of points than a year or two ago. Looks like I had an old account that I used to fold on:-

(old account)
Username Points Wus
[OcUK]_Delboy 2,060,341 5,767

(new account)
Username Points Wus
[OcUK]Delboy 2,301,158 619

Roughly the same points for only 619 wus compared with 5,767 back then.

Back
Top Bottom