5.1 Speaker system (individual)

Associate
Hi,

I decided to buy the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 setup.

However I am now undecided to what to buy and may opt to go for individual speakers as this is better as someone suggested. Is this correct?

So can you suggest 2 fronts, a center and 2 rears and a sub.

My room is not too big, but it is a dedicated cinema room.

Preferably I don't want discontinued stuff (cause if they are faulty or something) and second hand stuff

Budget about £500-£600. The lower the better though, however I am flexible.

Thanks

Soldato
The XS are fairly discrete 'style' speakers, it sounds like you want traditional bookshelf ones (you won't get stereo floorstanders in a 5.1 for £5-600). You can buy them individually or as a package, although unless you buy 2nd hand it won't work out any cheaper.

Your budget is still firmly in entry level, so you'd be looking at the people like Tannoy or Q Acoustics, or if anyone is selling off speakers at a heavy discount due to them being replaced with a newer model; i.e. Acoustic Energy was selling a £1000 5.1 set for £500 on the bay as they were v1 and they'd released the v2's a while ago so were obviously just clearing out the last of their stock. Those were all snapped up pretty quick.

Man of Honour
Preferably I don't want discontinued stuff (cause if they are faulty or something) and second hand stuff

Budget about £500-£600. The lower the better though, however I am flexible.

Thanks
Ruling out discontinued stock is like shooting yourself in the foot. Discontinued simply means the manufacturer has changed models. It doesn't mean no support. If I were you I'd reconsider.

Second point; The speaker market doesn't undergo the rapid technology change we see in amps, sources and TVs. The best designs of 5 years ago are still hard to beat today despite what the mags say.

Look at the Monitor Audio BR2-AV 5.1 package for example. That was £1100 new and very well respected. It has just been replaced with the BX series, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in sound in a blind demo. The BR2-AV is more than your budget, but at £659 delivered it is an absolute steal.

Soldato
To add to lucid's comments, there is very little to go wrong. The main reason for returns appears to be cosmetic issues, which would be picked up immediately in 90% of cases. Speakers from decades ago are still running and the only real difference is in the cosmetic design. Discontinued or high end second hand gear is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Man of Honour
Spec me some great ones even if discontinued... I can probably stretch to £700.

Monitor Audio BR2-AV 5.1 package @ £659 delivered - it is an absolute steal.

The BR2-AV would be at the top of my list for a couple of very good reasons...

1) The fronts are very capable HiFi speakers in their own right. Most home cinema speakers struggle with music, so starting with a HiFi speaker gives this kit a definite advantage.

2) Under £1000 I can't find any other kit that gives you proper diffuse rear surround speakers rather than direct radiating speakers. That's a cost thing. Direct radiating speakers (smaller or same versions as the fronts) are cheaper to make but don't create that enveloping rear surround effect. Diffuse surrounds do, but you have to spend far more to get them.

The closest I could come to matching a spec (but not performance) from any other brand would be Wharfdale. This would be a mix and match from their Diamond range.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.CC Centre Speaker £99
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Speakers (Pair) £169
Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS Rear Speakers (Pair) £159
Wharfedale Diamond 10.Sx Subwoofer £199

Total................................................£629 + del/collection

TBH, between the Monitor Audio kit and the Wharfdales it's no contest

If you're happy to sacrifice surround effectiveness then have a look at the following as a starting point:
Mordaunt Short Alumni
Tannoy HTS101
Q Acoustics 2000 Series​

Associate
I recently brought the tannoy F3 mercury custom 5.1 system for £409.95 and its worth every penny.
Sounds great with my tx sr608. I nearly went for the boston acoustics, but after listening in store i opted for the tannoys.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions.

I went to a local shop and he suggested the following setup:

Fronts - KEF IQ30
Rears - KEF IQ10
Center - KEF IQ60c
Subwoofer - KEF KUBE 1

How is this compared to the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS and the systems you guys suggested?

Thanks

Man of Honour
I heard the Bostons with the latest Onkyo 8 series. Can't say I was in anyway entertained.

UniQ single point driver Kefs of recent years I've always found a little flat. They just don't seem to come to life for me unless driven at high volumes. It's said the IQ5's are a bit different, but I haven't heard them personally. I'd be very surprised though if they didn't outperform the Bostons in all but treble bite.

Soldato
I'd go for what Lucid has suggested. The fact the rears are 'proper' surround speakers is a bonus, and you're getting something that used to be 'mid-fi' and is now priced closer to entry level.

Associate
OP
I quite like the monitor audio ones tbh...

However I need to find someone who sells them and also deliver to Malta.

If you know of anyone, or have a link or something, could you please send it to me in PM?

Thanks

Man of Honour
You're in Malta. You never said that before. It changes everything. Deals that are easily accessible in the UK may not be available to you because the shipping costs become too much.

Monitor Audio is available throughout Europe.

This is the Maltese dealer

Jos Vincenti
Melchior Vassallo
125 Old Mint Street
Valletta
Malta
T: 00212 39849

Associate
OP
Yes you are right, but even with the shipping costs, it still will be cheaper than buying directly from Malta.

After extensive research I made up my mind once again.

My room is 13 x 13 feet which is approximately 4 x 4 metres.

I do not mind spending the money on these:

Monitor Audio BX6 AV package. This includes the following:

Fronts: Bronze BX6
Rears: Bronze BXFX
Center: Bronze BX Center
Sub: BXW10

All will be driven by the Onkyo TX-SR608.

Is this a good setup for my room and as speakers and amp are they good and will last me some good years?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom