Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting one of these or a Synology Disk Station.

My one query is does the HP MicroServer support the same kind of energy saving that the Synology Disk station delivers? I read that the Synology is able to hibernate until a request is made from the drive.

A bit of Googling brings up this thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346154) that suggests running something with a 200w power supply could go up to about 60p a day. Also willing to listen to any flaws in the logic posted.

I realise that may be a theoretical maximum but it's something I'd like to avoid.

Also I'm unaware of how the Synology system actually works (whether its just wake on LAN that you have to setup or something) but is this functionality that FreeNas could add? I'm unable to find any reference to anything that suggest it does but I don't quite know what term I'm looking for :)

Cheers guys!
Roy

From earlier in the thread:

Yep :)

Very roughly = 24hrs x 50w x 8.5p/kw (going rate) = 11p per day to run, or £3 per month.

Because it's not got a sleep mode as such to reduce wear on the box you could always use a power off on idle software, and then WOL to bring it back up.

Freeware shutdown program:

http://www.chameleon-managers.com/

"Chameleon Shutdown allows you to switch off, restart, hibernate the computer and perform other operations both immediately and when certain conditions are met (specific time, delay, idle time, CPU usage, closure of a certain program).
You can add multiple conditions without limitation.
The interface supports skins and is very easy to use."

Then create a batch file on the desktops of relevant PCs in your network to wake it back up again using mc-wol command line, again freeware:

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

I use WOL over the Internet as well which comes in handy :)

Soldato
But it does say this on the website that you can't license the trial version...

How are you finding DE?

Will freely admit I didn't notice that before installing the trial, I just assumed that it would be fine as I still can see no reason why it doesn't work!

No problems at all with DE so far, really liking the home server experience got all my Music and DVD's on the server. Got all our important files backed up onto the server which was the origional driving force behind getting a server and also have an external USB drive which I use for a weekly offsite backup.

Great little box, good operating system and brilliant value for money all round.

Associate
Will freely admit I didn't notice that before installing the trial, I just assumed that it would be fine as I still can see no reason why it doesn't work!

I can only assume it's a vain attempt at an anti-piracy measure.

I've been using XP Pro SP3 since getting my little box and I'm happy with how it works but the lack of DE or decent RAID built in (I can get RAID1 working, but it crawls) means I'll probably move to WHS1 soon and sell my XP Pro key etc.

I'm very impressed overall, lives in my room and I can sleep with it on as it's so quiet, very happy with it.

Associate
video drivers

nobody can help me to find the video drivers (ati) for win 2003?
I've tried to use drivers for xp, but nothing...
pls, I need really an help!
thank's!
media

Soldato
Associate
Real Quick NewB question I was hoping someone could answer for me...

In Windows Server 2008 r2, can you create RAID 0 without data loss? Ie. I have 1.5tb drive and I want to add another, can it copy half the data between the two and lose none creating the array?

Also, If I do RAID 5 with 3 disks can I add a 4th later and rebuild without data loss?

Permabanned
It seems there is more than 1 part number for these guys, the part number stated on the rebate form is 633724-421 but there is another 612275-421 floating about.

Has anyone had a rebate on the second part number?

Soldato
It seems there is more than 1 part number for these guys, the part number stated on the rebate form is 633724-421 but there is another 612275-421 floating about.

Has anyone had a rebate on the second part number?

The second part number is for the original version with the 160GB drive. Many people, including myself, did get rebates against this version. I doubt you'd find one to buy, and even if you did the rebate offer no longer applies to it.

The 160GB version has now been placed with the 250GB version and the rebate offer has been updated to reflect this.

Associate
I am still really struggling to get mine running with XBMC. I have given up on Ubuntu as that was trouble and am going to try WHS again.

Before I completely reinstall, a stupid question. I have installed an Asus nvidia G210 which I just can not get to work with video, every time I try to play one I get a blue screen. Am I right to be using 32bit XP drivers for WHS?

Thanks ;o)

Associate
Try FreeNAS, it's working great on my test setup (so far), + its running off the internal usb connector freeing up precious hdd space.

Associate
Not as quiet as i expected, could not sleep with it running in the other room. Going to open up and ensure everything is ok.

Is yours silent?

Soldato
Not as quiet as i expected, could not sleep with it running in the other room. Going to open up and ensure everything is ok.

Is yours silent?

Who has said they are silent ?, they are pretty quiet, You could make them quieter by rubber mounting the fan and slowing it down slightly...I have not seen bios options though.

Associate

Is yours silent?

Silent? No. I have very acute hearing and it does hum, but it's bearable, but I don't live in a particularly quiet house so perhaps that has something to do with it :D.

Soldato
mines near silent with no disks in :p

it will be the hard disks that make noise with the samsungs i have in mine as well as the original 160gb its far from silent. Mine lives in another room however

Back
Top Bottom