• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Here you go, one very expensive pyramid - ATI's Flagship Card!

Associate
if someone doesnt tell us the price i might actually go crazy.

If you are still open to getting a 590 you shouldn't be bother about waiting for midnight.
Not that I can honestly see the 590 beat a 6990 convincingly for what will likely be a higher rrp and price gouging with lower stock.

Associate
If you are still open to getting a 590 you shouldn't be bother about waiting for midnight.
Not that I can honestly say I can see the 590 beat a 6990 convincingly for what will likely be a higher rrp and price gouging with lower stock.

one question though the biggest thing i'm worrying about is stock hmm say i wait and decide to get a 6990 what are my chances of getting one thats my biggest worry.

Associate
one question though the biggest thing i'm worrying about is stock hmm say i wait and decide to get a 6990 what are my chances of getting one thats my biggest worry.

From what Gibbo said about having 70% (or was it 75%?) of the UK's stock of 6990's and they did the same for the 6950/70 they will have plenty of stock until the next batch is ready and the prices will not fluctuate on the 6990's as a result. Also near the end of the first batch they might do a "this week only" deal so that could be happening around the time the 590 is released or a little after.

Associate
From what Gibbo said about having 70% (or was it 75%?) of the UK's stock of 6990's and they did the same for the 6950/70 they will have plenty of stock until the next batch is ready and the prices will not fluctuate on the 6990's as a result. Also near the end of the first batch they might do a "this week only" deal so that could be happening around the time the 590 is released or a little after.

ok cool well depending on price i'll see what happens i sold my ati 5970 and i'm running off a gtx465 which actually isnt so bad so i can wait. although i would like one NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :p

Associate
Well I don't know why the 5970's where harder to find after the first batch but the Caymen chips seem to have been excellent yields to the point they reduced the 6950 allocation. Also people unlocking 6950's to 6970's has been very successful so the chips must be of pretty high standard on average which should indicate that 6990's will get plenty of best quality chips to choose from.

OcUK Staff
OP
The new card is extremely limited production wise, probably less than 1000 units worldwide as the UK has about 1/10th of that which I have most.

I am sure AMD will make more and if not they will still supply the GPU to board partners who could make their own cards, but yes I feel the new card will always be very rare and few and far between as will NVIDIA's new even more expensive flagship product.

Associate
The new card is extremely limited production wise, probably less than 1000 units worldwide as the UK has about 1/10th of that which I have most.

I am sure AMD will make more and if not they will still supply the GPU to board partners who could make their own cards, but yes I feel the new card will always be very rare and few and far between as will NVIDIA's new even more expensive flagship product.

price :D :D :D :D ? :p

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah i am not looking forward to seeing the price of Nvidia's card!

Expensive, but were getting into the realms of performance that is just not required.

You'd only ever buy these cards for three reasons:-

1. 2560x1600 max everything, so 27" upwards monitors.
2. Benchmarking / Overclocking mad person - In which case BUY 2 :D
3. E-Peen :D

Or one could say you'd be seriously future proofed, the 4870 X2 is still a powerhouse now, so its fair to the say ATI's new card will also be futureproof for a good 2-3yr as the performance numbers it chucks out are mind boggling, its like the R35-GTR of graphics cards. :)

Soldato

So this pattern seems to resemble Intel pricing, where extreme High End products are usually found in the range of £700-£1000 :(

OcUK Staff
OP
So this pattern seems to resemble Intel pricing, where extreme High End products are usually found in the range of £700-£1000 :(

Yes Intel Extreme CPU's always come in at the same price, the slower ones just phase out and dissapear, the days of things dropping in price are going, products now just get updated and you just get more for your money. :)

Though off course every so often storming deals come along like the MSI 5850 and Asus GTX 480 where a manufacturer for whatever reason had way too much stock and needs to clear them out.

Caporegime

I get the impression AMD will be making less stock cooler ones and allowing 3rd party cooler versions quicker than normal, I reckon thats probably a decent reason for the delay.

Still need to be some daft dual slot ones for the insane people who want quad fire and ridiculous noise.

Hopefully a 3rd party cooler or a AIB version with a decent cooler that doesn't cost £100 more will come out soon for those that want it.

I would think the delay means they've had a lot more time than usual to get other ones sorted, Asus CU triple slot monster will be a complete beast when you think about a sink that size on a card that length :o

Back
Top Bottom