• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Permabanned
I don't have onboard graphics, but realistically speaking, if I can't even flash from DOS (by which I mean proper DOS, as in the OS that was obsoleted by Windows 95, not a Command Prompt window) I'm not sure how safe mode is going to help.

I seen somewhere that u can flash back in bios with USB stick.I was going to do it before I flashed mine back which was just total luck.
Will send you link when i get home, I think i have it bookmarked somewhere.

If that doesent work Can you use a friends computer with onboard graphics?
I thought i had bricked mine and was minutes away from losing the rag, I didn't have a switch for my 1 gb6950 so was pretty stupid of me to attempt to flash in the first place.
I couldn't boot into windows after flash went bad and couldn't get into windows without bsod.
I ran into safe mode and the computer booted into windows with it's on board graphics, unistalled the drivers and rebooted( the computer then booted using on board graphics)and re flashed.
I have tried this a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can an Asus ATI Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 2048MB have its shaders unlocked?
According to some places (including OcUK shop) it can but some people on here say no.

Is there a definative answer please? :)

Associate
Looking online it seems these cards are being sold out pretty quick, been monitoring with the view of getting a 2nd Saphire HD6950 but all gone, the ASUS ones have gone and not many of the others left.

seems they are going to be replaced with rev 2 which probably wont flash.

Managed to get my Saphire this morning but not from here, started off with 30 in stock last week and now down to 10, cant see them getting more to be honest.

I think the rev 1 are being phased out

Associate
Do these get much hotter when flashed to a 6970?

Mine went a couple of degrees hotter under load, but then I just modded the original BIOS to have the unlocked shaders and this seemed to give the performance gains with a smaller temp rise. (clocked it up to 6970 levels too I think itts just RAM timings and power regulation that is changed otherwise)

Soldato
Unlocking is not guaranteed remember I have an XFX card here that does not unlock. With the shaders unlocked it artificates badly and this is a revision 1 card. My Asus unlocked fine and runs as a 6970 but in all honesty the difference in game is very minimal..

Associate
Ordered an asus 6950 rev 1 card the other day, fingers crossed the shader unlock goes well. I heard a lot of people's cards were dying after just a couple of week with the 6970 bios so I'm just gunna do the shaders and overclock it manually.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Copy the batch file, then edit it using Notepad. Look for the calls to ATIWinFlash.exe, there should be two:

ATIWinFlash -unlockrom 0
ATIWinFlash -f -p 0 <filename>

Replace the 0's with 1's

ATIWinFlash -unlockrom 1
ATIWinFlash -f -p 1 <filename>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom