Samsung F4EG Firmware Update *1.5/2TB*

Associate
I have run into a bit of a problem. I have just installed this hdd in my system, booted up and it was showing in disk management as unallocated space. So i formatted it and allocated the space and everything went as normal and the drive was showing in windows fine.

I then followed these steps from the previous page:

If you decide to update you can find a bootable iso with the firmware at the link below:
http://tiny.cc/pw6id

How to install:
- download the file
- burn it on a CD
- boot your PC from the CD
- chooe 1) "continue to boot from FreeDos"
- chose 1) "install to harddisk using FreeDos"
- chose your desired language
- chose "run FreeDos from CD"

Now you should get the prompt x:

- type "HD204UI" and press enter

It seemed to work fine and said download completed. So i rebooted into windows, which took ages, really really slow boot time. When windows loaded the drive was no longer showing under my computer. So i thought i must need to reallocate in disk management, however it is not in there either :s Each time i reboot now windows takes ages to load and sits at the bios loading screen for ages :/

Edit: How very strange, decided to try the flash again only this time when selecting to boot from the cd drive the samsung hdd was not showing in the list along with the other hdd's in bios which worried me. Then when performing the last step typing "HD204UI" it kept giving me errors saying drive not found or words to that effect. I thought right that's it then, the drive is knackered, rebooted into windows which went as fast as normal and now the drive is showing :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure what platform these affect but I use them on both NAS and Windows so I had to update them all tonight.

If you decide to update you can find a bootable iso with the firmware at the link below:

How to install:
- download the file
- burn it on a CD

I must be being thick here, I've done all of the above but when I type in HD204UI I get an error "Bad Command or Filename". DIR doesnt show this file in the directory but its certainly the image from above that I've burnt to CD. Any ideas?

Caporegime
I have run into a bit of a problem. I have just installed this hdd in my system, booted up and it was showing in disk management as unallocated space. So i formatted it and allocated the space and everything went as normal and the drive was showing in windows fine.

I then followed these steps from the previous page:

How to install:
- download the file
- burn it on a CD

It seemed to work fine and said download completed. So i rebooted into windows, which took ages, really really slow boot time. When windows loaded the drive was no longer showing under my computer. So i thought i must need to reallocate in disk management, however it is not in there either :s Each time i reboot now windows takes ages to load and sits at the bios loading screen for ages :/

Edit: How very strange, decided to try the flash again only this time when selecting to boot from the cd drive the samsung hdd was not showing in the list along with the other hdd's in bios which worried me. Then when performing the last step typing "HD204UI" it kept giving me errors saying drive not found or words to that effect. I thought right that's it then, the drive is knackered, rebooted into windows which went as fast as normal and now the drive is showing :confused:

I think the F4 needs to be the only drive connected when you update the firmware.

Caporegime
I must be being thick here, I've done all of the above but when I type in HD204UI I get an error "Bad Command or Filename". DIR doesnt show this file in the directory but its certainly the image from above that I've burnt to CD. Any ideas?

I'm sure I typed F4EG to run the update.

Soldato
*thread bump*

I've bought two of these Samsung 2TB drives and haven't used them yet so I'm in a prime position to update them.

I quick formatted them yesterday and used HD Tune to check the drives which showed they were fine.

However I noticed that they have different firmwares and one seems to have features enabled - such as temperature recording and the other doesn't...can anyone tell me what's going on and what I should do...do they both need flashing?

Side by side comparison:

Caporegime
*thread bump*

I've bought two of these Samsung 2TB drives and haven't used them yet so I'm in a prime position to update them.

I quick formatted them yesterday and used HD Tune to check the drives which showed they were fine.

However I noticed that they have different firmwares and one seems to have features enabled - such as temperature recording and the other doesn't...can anyone tell me what's going on and what I should do...do they both need flashing?

Side by side comparison:

Must be different versions.

Do they have a different manufacturing date on them?

Naming one of them Samsung "1TB 2" is a bit confusing.

Edit

I don't think it's that one has features enabled and the other doesn't. It's that very little information is being read from the first drive.

Are they connected the same way?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply.

Ha ha, I've just noticed the naming! :D It should read Samsung 2TB 1 and 2TB 2, until I've got the issue sorted I'll keep the same though.

They are connected by eSATA in two single drive Icyboxes going into a dual eSATA port on the motherboard...I'll check the date and post back.

Soldato
OK I've checked the drives and they both say:
Model HD204UI
2TB/R54/32M
Rev A

I've checked the health of the drive that's not displaying information and it can't display the health information for the drive either.

The plot thickens as another drive I have installed (in the case) which has been working fine for months also won't show any information - no temperature, no health status etc, but all the other internal drives do show information.

I don't understand! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
That's really weird isn't it!

I've read (on here I think it was) that the data corruption problem only occurs in specific circumstances which normal operation doesn't do...these are data holding drives for me so I'll be just copying stuff onto them and then reading and occasionally deleting it so I'm tempted to leave them alone and just use them as they are.

Caporegime
That's really weird isn't it!

I've read (on here I think it was) that the data corruption problem only occurs in specific circumstances which normal operation doesn't do...these are data holding drives for me so I'll be just copying stuff onto them and then reading and occasionally deleting it so I'm tempted to leave them alone and just use them as they are.

If they were manufactured April 2011 then they should have the latest firmware anyway.

Back
Top Bottom