• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC or Asus GeForce GTX 480

Man of Honour
Ah I have 1.3.1 does say "requies a EVGA GTX 400 series graphics card" in the readme but never had a problem running it on anything else.

Associate
OP
Oh dear. After playing crysis 2 and witcher 2 for about 15 mins i start to notice a few graphics artifacts :(

I downloaded MSI Kombustor, Heaven 2.5 and OCCT. When benchmarking with Heaven 2.5 again notice a few artifacts. OCCT generates 1000's of errors after a few seconds.

I bought a new PSU for this 480 SOC, a OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W Power Supply:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-047-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1098

Do you think the errors are more likely to be the card or could it be the PSU has not enough power to the graphics card? I don't know how reliable this PSU is...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah - thought the PSU was a long shot. Think I'm going to return this SOC and get an SE instead. Is the SE worth the £40 difference over the Asus GeForce GTX 480?

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
The SE is a non reference card and has a better cooler. I personally have not heard a ref. 480 but the general view seems to be "they run too hot and sound like a helicopter/jet/turbine.."

Although it seems you don't really have a choice as the SE seems to be sold out.

Associate
Get the Zalman VF3000F cooler for the Asus 480 if you think its too HOT & LOUD.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-050-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=787

The price difference between Asus 480 and GB 480 SE will cover the cooler!

Sorted!:D

+1 I have this cooler for my 480 (Zotac model) and it is just epic it can be noisy still on full tilt but you can mess with the fan speeds to suit your needs easily enough.

This cooler looks like a great buy. Will fitting this cooler void the warranty?

Yes it will I think, it is pretty straight forward to fit though just take your time.

Stoner81.

Associate
OP
+1 I have this cooler for my 480 (Zotac model) and it is just epic it can be noisy still on full tilt but you can mess with the fan speeds to suit your needs easily enough.

Yes it will I think, it is pretty straight forward to fit though just take your time.

Stoner81.

Ok thanks for the info. Does this cooler only fit the reference model 480's? Do you think it will fit on a Gigabyte GTX SE or SOC?

Associate
Get the Asus. Bought 2 and both have run flawlessly. They are a little louder but you have next to no risk of getting an unstable one. Been gaming like a mad man on Witcher 2, Crysis 2 and now DIRT 3 no problem for the past month. ASUS stock ***!!

Associate
A 480 is a 480 so it should fit any 480 card regardless of who makes it.

Stoner81.

AFAIK this is not the case there are non-referance boards out there. I believe the GB 480 SOC and 480SE are both non-referance boards. I think the PCB is different along with the cooler. I am not clear if the changes affect the fitting of the Zalman cooler. It maybe the differences are minor, and the cooler still fits. Or it maybe the changes are small and a quick dremel session can sort out any fitting issues.;)

But the Asus is a referance board and the Zalman fits perfectly.

Associate
OP
AFAIK this is not the case there are non-referance boards out there. I believe the GB 480 SOC and 480SE are both non-referance boards. I think the PCB is different along with the cooler. I am not clear if the changes affect the fitting of the Zalman cooler. It maybe the differences are minor, and the cooler still fits. Or it maybe the changes are small and a quick dremel session can sort out any fitting issues.;)

Thanks OCPete. I suspected as much. I will ask in the GB 480 SOC to see if anyone has fitted this cooler. I suspect that it will be incompatible.

Associate

Thanks for the information I didn't know that, I have the Zotac version and the Zalman slotted in perfectly :D

Stoner81.

Associate
OP
Sent the SOC back to overclockers and ordered an Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 SE instead. Installed the SE and it is better in every way. Even clocked at 820Mhz it is more stable, runs on less voltage and runs 15 - 20 degrees cooler while gaming. Very happy with it. Recommend the SE over the SOC to anyone mulling it over.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the hijack, but when I look at the GTX480 section of the website, the SE has gone?

Any idea why it went?

They were showing 1 left in stock when I ordered mine so I probably got the last one. Fingers crossed they will come back in stock for you. I very much recommend getting an SE over a SOC, in my case (and others on this forum) the difference was like night and day...

Back
Top Bottom