GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I've just joined the gym and had a quick question. I'm making changes to my diet and as I'm vegetarian I've decided to use protein shakes, what I want to know is it recommended to have a shake pre workout? I know it's important pro workout as your muscles require protein.

Soldato
I've just joined the gym and had a quick question. I'm making changes to my diet and as I'm vegetarian I've decided to use protein shakes, what I want to know is it recommended to have a shake pre workout? I know it's important pro workout as your muscles require protein.

Before exercise the protein shake will help preserve lean tissue (muscle) by decreasing exercise induced catabolism (muscle breakdown) and will provide a small amount of energy. Post exercise the protein shake will aid recovery (but more so when combined with carbohydrate) as the protein/amino acids will be available for energy and lean tissue regeneration.

Caporegime
If you've just started working out then it won't make much difference either way really.
Just make sure you eat enough so that you have the energy to complete a good workout and then a good meal after to replenish yourself.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
[TW]Sponge;19407930 said:
Before exercise the protein shake will help preserve lean tissue (muscle) by decreasing exercise induced catabolism (muscle breakdown) and will provide a small amount of energy. Post exercise the protein shake will aid recovery (but more so when combined with carbohydrate) as the protein/amino acids will be available for energy and lean tissue regeneration.

If you've just started working out then it won't make much difference either way really.
Just make sure you eat enough so that you have the energy to complete a good workout and then a good meal after to replenish yourself.

Thanks for the replies.

Just realised my powder is out of date by two months so ordered some more. Not taking any for the time being.

Associate
Thanks for the replies.

Just realised my powder is out of date by two months so ordered some more. Not taking any for the time being.

It will be fine , don't throw it away !
At worst you can cook with it or give it to me :)

TBH i feel whole taking a protein shake before you work is rubbish, and made up of studies funded by "supplement brands" good solid diet and no need for more than ONE large scoop just after if you must.

Associate
Well it arrived! Much bigger than I expected, and I tasted a bit (banana flavoured) and it tasted nice :)
Thanks for the advice guys!

You can buy some brewing sugar (make sure it's Dextrose )
1kg is about £1.99 add 20g into that whey to make it a better PWO shake

Edit:add 5g of cheap ass you can find Creatine Monohydrate (its all the same) for you own "proprietary blend" and smile by how much you have saved not buying branded crap

Last edited:
Associate
Yo, another annoying question :p
With DOMS, is it okay to still exercise the muscle or will that hinder growth? Reason being I worked out legs on Saturday and I was planning on doing a nice amount of cardio (running) tomorrow, but my legs are going to be hurting quite a bit (but that pain should apparently go away when I start exercising?). Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom