Metal Music Absolutely..........SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I liked rock/metal when I was an angsty frustrated teenager, and then grew out of it in my twenties.

One thing I find unappealing about the genre is the elitist nature of rock/indie fans. "You DON'T like X band? Omg! You loser gtfo!".

Man of Honour
unless you've listened to METAL from an early age it's unlikely you'll ever get it properly. you need to be open minded and your early teens are the best time for this.

there are expceptions, i know a couple of guys that used to be into full on dance then turned round late into their 20s and got into metal.

The ex guitarist in the band in my sig (who left us a few months ago) is 62 and grew up on 60's, Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin, ACDC, Iron Maiden etc.
About 2 years ago he was travelling with me while I was playing Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, System Of A Down and other such bands.
It was like a revelation to him because he'd never heard stuff like that before and he got well into it going out and buying loads of albums.

The drummer in my other band Mistreated, is 58 and grew up on 60s, Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
When joining us it was obvious he knew zilch about rock and has had to learn all our Sabbath, Rainbow, Iron Maiden classics from scratch.
We recently gave him a cd full of music with suggestions and the 3 he picked out are: Metallica - For Whom The Bells Toll, Megadeth - Peace Sells & Slayer - Mandatory Suicide saying what an amazing music that he'd never heard before.
He again has gone out and bought loads of Metal albums.

Old people hey:)

Soldato
The ex guitarist in the band in my sig (who left us a few months ago) is 62 and grew up on 60's, Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin, ACDC, Iron Maiden etc.
About 2 years ago he was travelling with me while I was playing Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, System Of A Down and other such bands.
It was like a revelation to him because he'd never heard stuff like that before and he got well into it going out and buying loads of albums.

The drummer in my other band Mistreated, is 58 and grew up on 60s, Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
When joining us it was obvious he knew zilch about rock and has had to learn all our Sabbath, Rainbow, Iron Maiden classics from scratch.
We recently gave him a cd full of music with suggestions and the 3 he picked out are: Metallica - For Whom The Bells Toll, Megadeth - Peace Sells & Slayer - Mandatory Suicide saying what an amazing music that he'd never heard before.
He again has gone out and bought loads of Metal albums.

Old people hey:)

good on them

yeah i guy i work with in his late 40s has started buying loads of Death Metal. at first i thought he was just buying because he a record collector but it seems he really likes it

Associate
Different strokes for different folks. Does anyone here play anything akin to the music being discussed here. There is a lot of music which falls in to the "metal" category which I appreciated for it's structure and technicalitly. I can see how some are put off by the vocals of some frontmen though.

Check out some Meshuggah or Job For a Cowboy. I'm a Led Zep / Jethro Tull kinda guy but I dig a lot of "metal" too.

Caporegime
Whilst I do feel it has musical merit (unlike happy hardcore), it's just one of the top level genres I've never been able to get in to.

I like a bit of rock stuff, but metal just doesn't push the right buttons for me.

That said, after dabbling in hip hop in my pre-teens, and some punk in my early teens, it wasn't until I heard trance in my mid-teens that I found music that really grabs me. 14 years later and it's still my favourite, along with most of the other dance genres.

What I do like about metal is that unlike many other umbrella genres, there is a sense of community within the listeners, something I've always loved about trance.

Man of Honour
I liked rock/metal when I was an angsty frustrated teenager, and then grew out of it in my twenties.

You don't grow out of music, it means you were never really into it in the first place.
There's nothing wrong with finding other music to listen to but to say you don't like it anymore is immature.
Even though I'm a Metalhead I can't turn my back on the stuff I listened to in the 60's/70s - if it was good then it is still good now.

Soldato
You don't grow out of music, it means you were never really into it in the first place.
There's nothing wrong with finding other music to listen to but to say you don't like it anymore is immature.
Even though I'm a Metalhead I can't turn my back on the stuff I listened to in the 60's/70s - if it was good then it is still good now.

Spot on.

Associate
This thread seems to have concluded a long time ago it is just someone using their personal opinion of metal to get some reactions and in no way remain open to any suggestions if it is anything to do with that genre.

Generally if you listen to Tupac then you aren't going to listen to Slipknot and think "Wow I'm doing it wrong. This is what I should listen to" At least that has never happened to me. For example you might listen to Tupac and then hear something like Hollywood Undead. Maybe just one song you hear of theirs would appeal to you but as you listen a bit more you like other songs by them and suddenly you are listening to "rock" in a way and it can evolve from there.

I found it difficult to explain as I couldn't very well explain how my own music taste has evolved over time but it seems that it starts by me hearing certain songs, for me I think they were: Lose Yourself - Eminem, Paradise City - Guns n Roses, Holiday - Green Day, Mt Eden - Sierra Leone and loads more. It was these songs though that captured my attention and allowed me to explore the genre more. Just yesterday I was looking through the best rap album thread and my first thought when seeing all of the responses was that they were all rap elitists that only listened to gangster rap or whatever but decided to give Illmatic - Nas a go and it is amazing. My music taste is constantly developing.

Thats my opinion on the matter anyway although I can confirm, I don't like many of the things posted in this thread but I do quite like System of a Down and also Enter Sandman by Metallica. :D

Caporegime

Agree and disagree

You don't grow out of music, but your music taste can change throughout your life. I used to be heavily into metal but now my taste is mostly electronic, does this mean metal is less than electronic? Hell no, it's just where I am at the moment.

Caporegime
Agree and disagree

You don't grow out of music, but your music taste can change throughout your life. I used to be heavily into metal but now my taste is mostly electronic, does this mean metal is less than electronic? Hell no, it's just where I am at the moment.

I dunno, if you really love a genre, even if you discover others later on, why should that affect the first?

Why can't someone like a whole bunch?

I hate it when someone "loves" something, then 5 years later "loves" something else and the first is suddenly crap.

Caporegime

I do feel that the shouty, screamy, angry, distorted music is soulless and worthless.

As I've got older though, I've developed an appreciation for some of the classics. Led Zep, even Maiden.

I still don't see the attraction to Metallica at all though.

I agree, I do understand there are varying levels of Metal and the genre is pretty big but most of it does nothing for me.

The only Metallica track I like is Enter Sandman purely because it was on Rockband and I grew to love the song. 99% of the other metal on RB games or GH games or that I've heard I really can't warm to.

I do really appreciate some of the talent they have with instruments though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom