The beginning of the end of the blame culture

Soldato
It just means it'll be made harder to make any money out of pursuading people to claim. It might have some indirect effect but don't think it'll be massive.

I don't see why people can't just accept that by driving your metal cage you are willingly accepting the possibility that you may be injured by another driver.

If insurance companies stuck to insuring & repairing cars and let any personal injury claims be dealt with between the two parties directly and charged to the other driver premiums would be a lot lower as compensation paid would be what the driver who caused the accident could afford.

Legal proceedings would be dealt with yourself and if you can't afford them, tough ****. Don't like it? don't drive.

Associate
This will not lower insurance prices. All it will mean is bigger profits for the fatcats running them.
Predictable silly response.

This legislation and market forces will push prices back down, not back to pre-claim-culture levels as it is only part of the problem but if less people are being put in touch with lawyers resulting in fewer personal injury claims it will lower premiums.

Soldato
Predictable silly response.

This legislation and market forces will push prices back down, not back to pre-claim-culture levels as it is only part of the problem but if less people are being put in touch with lawyers resulting in fewer personal injury claims it will lower premiums.

Have insurance premiums ever, in the history of insurance, reduced their prices?

Just wondering if there is precedence for insurance getting cheaper ever.

Soldato
Have insurance premiums ever, in the history of insurance, reduced their prices?

I regularly paid less year on year fo insurance until recently, this year with no claims in my driving history it still went up significantly despite shopping around.

Associate

To be honest I don't know, I'm no insurance guru I'm simply making (what I believe) to be a logical conclusion.

I would imagine insurers premium calculations are implicitly linked to claim expenditure through their risk models, therefore if expenditure on claims decrease through fewer personal injury claims, premiums will reduce as well.

Soldato
Was pleased to see this, certainly a step in the right direction. The next step is to stop these 'no win, no fee' type solicitors. People would be less incentivised to claim, if they had to pay money up front. Even if you made it £500 flat rate per claim up front, it would put a decent amount off I imagine. That's a very good idea actually...they should defo do that!

Soldato
no it will not help.. there has to be a limit set by government.. now the insurance companies can take the biggest pee and people will pay as they have no choice + its unlimited for them.. they can set 10k each and people will pay because some of the live from cars and in cars pretty much

Soldato
It just means it'll be made harder to make any money out of pursuading people to claim. It might have some indirect effect but don't think it'll be massive.

I don't see why people can't just accept that by driving your metal cage you are willingly accepting the possibility that you may be injured by another driver.

If insurance companies stuck to insuring & repairing cars and let any personal injury claims be dealt with between the two parties directly and charged to the other driver premiums would be a lot lower as compensation paid would be what the driver who caused the accident could afford.

Legal proceedings would be dealt with yourself and if you can't afford them, tough ****. Don't like it? don't drive.

So someone on benefits runs me down and leaves me unable to work.

And I get what, £2.50 a week out of the benefits they get given to them as they are too lazy to work and this is all the court could enforce them to pay.

Nice one.

Or even worse, people driving without insurance rockets.

Soldato
So someone on benefits runs me down and leaves me unable to work.

And I get what, £2.50 a week out of the benefits they get given to them as they are too lazy to work and this is all the court could enforce them to pay.

Nice one.

Or even worse, people driving without insurance rockets.

Shock horror in stupid person on internet saying stupid thing

Associate
no it will not help.. there has to be a limit set by government.. now the insurance companies can take the biggest pee and people will pay as they have no choice + its unlimited for them.. they can set 10k each and people will pay because some of the live from cars and in cars pretty much
But the insurance industry isn't run by a monopoly so that wouldn't happen.

Insurance companies certainly could not charge £10,000 with people paying.

Soldato
Currently my insurance now works out at a guesstimate of around £1500 more expensive over the space of the 5 years, of where I have to declare a non-fault accident that occured. (That's assuming I don't have another non-fault or fault accident, or any claim in the sapce of 5 years).

Now why should I be held accountable for that extra cost of around £300 a year when the reason that extra £300 is even there is, is because of some dithing old buffoon who wasn't watching where he was going when he was propelling 1 ton of metal around? Or is claiming for damages the only way to get the money back?

Back
Top Bottom