Spec me a phone

Soldato
Hi guys,

just been offered £400 for my iPhone 4 32GB which is very tempting.

I need a new phone and have one eye on the iPhone 5 but if the screen is too tiddly then it is time to leave Apple.

I want:

- 4.5" - 5.0" screen
- high resolution
- dual core cpu
- hd video recording
- drag and drop!!! *weep*

That's it really, what is available or will be available within the next few weeks? Want to weigh up my options. Thanks :)

Soldato
There's nothing that meets all your requirements currently but closest is SGS2. there's tons of these threads, look in them as they will all suggest the same set of phones. go to a shop and try them all out.

Soldato
OP
There's nothing that meets all your requirements currently but closest is SGS2. there's tons of these threads, look in them as they will all suggest the same set of phones. go to a shop and try them all out.

Already tried out the SGS2 as my mate has one, but its what, 6 months old now? Plus it was cheaper when it came out, then it is now so I fancy going for something newer.

Soldato
OP
Nope the infuse is for the yanks and is single core.

read the AnandTech review to see just how good the SGSII is.

I know the SGS2 is a brilliant phone, but in all honesty I see it as something on par with the iPhone 4, better in certain areas and not as good in others.

I have had the iPhone 4 for over a year and I'm sure the S2 has been available for almost 6 months, I remember it was really cheap when it came out but shot up in price later. I don't want to pay more for it now then my mate did 6 months ago. :p

There must be something similar but slightly better coming soon surely?

The Samsung Note looks like an absolute beast but I think realistically 5.3"/5.4" is a tad TOO big.

Soldato
For a big 720p phone you'll have to wait for the Nexus Prime (4.65") Galaxy Note (5.3") SE duo (4.5") LG something (4.5") HTC something (4.7"?) or PS Vita (5" + skype calls only)

Tbh, stick with the iPhone 5/SGS2 plan or wait a few more months for the 28nm/new architecture phones (Christmas to early 2012)

Edit:
better in certain areas and not as good in others.

Example? All the others Android phones won't better the SGS2 until the 2012.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nexus Prime (4.65") aka Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be due late oct/early nov with Android 4.0 (ICS).
SE Duo (qhd res) around the same time - HTC 4.7" only has 800*480 res.

The Nexus is your best bet.

Soldato
OP
Nexus Prime (4.65") aka Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be due late oct/early nov with Android 4.0 (ICS).

If the Nexus has a high res screen then at 4.6" it seems about bang on for what I'm looking for. :) Just reading some mixed things about it though atm, but is there anything specwise confirmed about the Nexus?

Soldato

I was thinking about the Sony Ericsson Nozomi (aka Duo?) and HTC Vigor, both have rumoured 720p large screens.

Soldato
I haven't heard about the Sony Ericsson Nozomi - googling it seems to have rumours about a 720p 4.3" screen.

HTC Vigor rumored to have 4.3" 720p res screen and the HTC Runnymede 4.7" 800*480 res.

The new nexus specs are:

gsmarena said:
For one, our tipster says that the final name of the next Google flagship will be the Samsung Galaxy Nexus rather than Nexus Prime. It will have a 4.65" screen at an HD resolution - not 4.5" WVGA.
Samsung already has SuperAMOLEDs with HD resolution, so seing one of them on the next Google flagship makes quite a lot of sense.
Anyway, the screen is curved just like the Nexus S screen. The device itself will be very thin - 8.8mm - and have a metal chassis, unlike previous models.
Our tipster also clued us in on the launch date - at the end of October (right on the Ice Cream Sandwich schedule), supposedly just after the iPhone 5 launch. If that's true, it's bound to cause quite a stir.

Soldato
OP
Quote:

It will have a 4.65" screen at an HD resolution.
The device itself will be very thin - 8.8mm - and have a metal chassis, unlike previous models.

This is the hot favourite for me atm!

Back
Top Bottom