Scariest landing ever...

Permabanned
He came in way too high and the wind gusts took the pilots by surprise so they were forced to go around, or divert to another airport most likely.

I bet ATC **** themselves watching that.

Associate
OP
Of course I did or I wouldn't have known he didn't land. :D + :p
Was awesome skills just not killing everybody on board in the face but still this is OcUK & we don't play that way, Title is wrong so Crush him. :D + :o + :p

Think that the co-pilot ( a girl, 25 years old ) save the situation for the Lufthansa airplane, really a GREAT save.

Soldato
One of my personal favourites is the infamous SWISS London City 'dumping'. It's particularly relevant to me as I am often on a SWISS plane landing at LCY, and I'm anticipating my turn :p

For those who don't know LCY, it's especially interesting as it has a very short runway and there's basically nowhere to go if it goes wrong; you're either smashing in to a building trying to relaunch or skidding off the end in to water! Landings in conditions that aren't brilliant are often quite sudden and with heavy braking. If there are bad winds they typically just close.

Take-offs are quite fun. They sit there with the brakes on hard and power the engines up... then suddenly snap off the brakes. You get a real launch accompanied by the sound of multiple tables snapping down! The angle of ascent is pretty steep, too. You can see how quick the transition from stationary to moving at LCY is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzbqlX2c0Yg&t=1m12s

Last edited:
Soldato
He came in way too high and the wind gusts took the pilots by surprise so they were forced to go around, or divert to another airport most likely.

I bet ATC **** themselves watching that.

his GP looked more than fine as did his decent speed. the crew would have been aware of any wind issues miles before they even saw the airport and it was cleared to land - he gave it a go and it wasn't working so pulled out.

its when pilots try and do it a second time when real accidents happen.

this sort of stuff happens every day at airports over the world, the planes electronics does an amazing job at keeping planes in the air even in the most extreme situations.

Soldato
For those who don't know LCY, it's especially interesting as it has a very short runway and there's basically nowhere to go if it goes wrong; you're either smashing in to a building trying to relaunch or skidding off the end in to water! Landings in conditions that aren't brilliant are often quite sudden and with heavy braking. If there are bad winds they typically just close.

Also can't use reverse thrust at City airport :D so if you're too fast then bad times.

Associate
I remember that day - one of the worst storms in the past years, even most of the schools have been closed due to concerns the kids could get hurt on their way home. Don't ask me, why someone could possibly think landing under these circumstances is a good idea.

According to the media, the left wing actually touched the runway, so this was really close to a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom