Weiht loss advice

Associate
Afternoon, just want osme advice on the best way to loose weight, i'm finding it difficult, not easy for me as i have depression and for some reaons find it hard to get motivated for it, i do a fair bit of cycling and have just started weightlifting again, i'm 17, 6 foot tall and about 16 stone. I want to eventualy join the army after I qualify as an electrician and so far im in no shape to even think about it. Any advice? I've started to kick it up a notch, by just eating just 3 meal a day, larger breakfast, smaller lunch and a smaller dinner, no snakcks and mostly just drinking squash and milk. But like i said, open to suggestions, i need ot be about 13 stone ish in the next few years and want to loose it as quick and as safely as possible and keep it off.

And yes i do understand the consequences on posting this in GD. I am prepared.

Associate
OP
No idea calorie wise, the only things I buy food wise is a sandwich and an oasis, I have the occaisonal twirl (<3) like once a week, when im at college at lunch, but that gets burned off walking uphill ot the bus stop, so to put it simply, burn of more than im putting in?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Limit your calorie intake to 1500 calories a day. You are guaranteed to shed at least 1kg a week if you stick to it.
It's actually not as bad as it sounds, since most of food is full of junk, so if you start watching what you eat rather than how much you eat, you don't even have to change lifestyle that much - 1500 calories is enough to have three full size pizzas a day and still have enough calories left for couple of kitkats. Not that I suggest you eat pizza three times a day, but it's just to make a point, that it's not a type of diet where you will end up walking around hungry.

Soldato
What worked for me (well aware this might not be in line with what some would recommend):

Small breakfast of cereal, yoghurt, banana or rice pudding (or similar).
Sandwich or soup with fruit for lunch.
Healthy but not too big a tea.

Snacking would be fruit, handfuls of cereal, yoghurt, crackers or similar. If you're hungry, eat. If you don't you'll just end up cracking and gorging later on. Cut down on bread and cheese and high fat foods.

Running, gym or sport at least 4 days a week.

Associate
OP
too heavy to run, did it for about 4 weeks when my brother told me to stop as he did injury to his knees (he weighs 14 stone and is a ****** tank, lots of weights) i play 5 a side football every (if we have enough players) friday for a couple of hours, good fun, avid cyclist as i mentioned and enjoy my weights too, gym membership is soon when i get the chance to get a discount from it, not paying that much for a membership thanks for this advice i appreciate it greatly

Man of Honour
For the last 3 weeks I've been following the Dukan Diet framework, with some flex in the regime to ensure I don't start killing people. I am similar in size to you but 44 years of age so my weight loss is likely to be somewhat more difficult and I've removed 16 pounds in 3 weeks. High protein, cut the carbs, smaller portions and exercise, so hardly rocket science but feel much better for it already and seeking another 14 pounds of loss to get me to where I feel better, then I will try and maintain it with more sensible food and exercise regimes. I've never done a formal diet in my life but used the Dukan as a good kick start which in simple terms is a low fat, zero carb lots of protein approach, but I've added oats rather than oat bran, vegetables more than it suggests and the odd bit of fruit and still removed 16lbs!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
too heavy to run, did it for about 4 weeks when my brother told me to stop as he did injury to his knees (he weighs 14 stone and is a ****** tank, lots of weights) i play 5 a side football every (if we have enough players) friday for a couple of hours, good fun, avid cyclist as i mentioned and enjoy my weights too, gym membership is soon when i get the chance to get a discount from it, not paying that much for a membership thanks for this advice i appreciate it greatly

Exercising more, oddly enough isn't very good for pure weight loss. First, because it usually makes you hungry and exhausted if you are "fatty", secondly, because you start building muscle, which is a good thing in general but doesn't really translate into quick weight loss.

Man of Honour
I'm not doing weightlifting to lose weight, i just want to be stronger and i like the look of big arms, i want to be toned too but 1 step at a time.

It may be that you already know this but just in case you don't then if you want big arms the most effective way isn't simply to focus on them at the exclusion of everything else. Your legs constitute a much large proportion of your muscle mass than your arms will do so do exercises that will will use them as well, the body prefers to keep a rough level of symmetry hence why just focusing on arms or just legs will not be as effective as working out both.

It is, of course, possible to increase the size of your arms without working out your legs also but it's unlikely to be the quickest and best way.

Associate
No idea calorie wise, the only things I buy food wise is a sandwich and an oasis, I have the occaisonal twirl (<3) like once a week, when im at college at lunch, but that gets burned off walking uphill ot the bus stop, so to put it simply, burn of more than im putting in?

So you dont know how many calories your eating but you know that walking up hill to the bus stop will burn your sandwich,oasis and the occaisional twirl?

This is your problem straight away learn how much is in what you eat calorie wise. Twirl is like 255 cals (googled) for someone that is 16 stone it would take you 20minutes of running at 5mph to burn just the twirl off. A average sandwich is normal like 400-500 cals, oasis is 90 cals. Make sure you understand also how much exercise is required to burn cals.

Now I dont know the hill your walking up or anything but I doubt you would burn off as much as you think you do.

The main point is start monitoring what you eat and take into account salt,sugar,fat levels as well. Eat learn meats, dont drink to much milk. Break your meals up into 5/6 smaller meals aday. If you keep your metabolism going all day with small health balanced meals you will increase you metabolic rate.

Also I hate when I hear people say dont run because your over weight such a silly statement its not like every over weight person is running like usain bolt. The point is dont be stupid with your exercise start of slow and build up. Best way to do this is run/jog short distance until you cant run anymore then stop and walk the remaining part of the route. Create a route as well like 1 mile to start with I couldnt jog 100 yards when I got back into exercise. After a week I was jogging a mile your be surprised how quickly it builds up.

To many people will push them self to hard. Im not small I play rugby and have a knee injury from boxing of all sports and that was when I was skinny haha. I run now but Im not silly with how I do it. Run on grass if you can and get some good running shoes, running on pavements wont make your knees explode just take it easy built your body up to it while helping yourself to increase the amount of weight your losing.

If you are really worried and have a injury start on low inpact exercise like a cross trainer or something and move on once you feel ready.

Nothing will happen over night plan your weight lose slowly no more then 2 pounds a week.

Hope that long winded post was some help

Back
Top Bottom