What`s your memories of school dinners?

Associate
Well,mine has to be spam fritters,chocolate sponge+chocolate custard blended into baby food type mush,treacle sponge too. :)

And for when we decided to have lunch out of school it was the obligatory chip loaf+slurpee or a trip to the pie `n` mash shop

What`s yours?

.....Guess i should say i left school in `82! :D

Man of Honour
It was about 16+ years since I've had school dinners (I stopped having them and started to have a packed lunch instead).

However, I remember the food being plentiful, hot and comforting, chips with everything and the world's best chocolate sponges/spotted dicks/rollypolly puds!

Soldato
Primary school i'm reminded of 'cheesy feet', 'smiley faces' and instant mash.
Secondary school was mainly pizza, chips and burgers but I think there was also an option of shepards pie or similar available. I usually bought in a packed lunch though.

Permabanned
Chips with everything.
That wierd pink milkshake in a clear plastic cup.
Dinner and desert on one plate!!!
Jam roly poly and custard.
Apple crumble and custard.
Beans with most things as well.
Burgers.
Turkey Twizzlers.

And seconds were good as well.

Wouldn't dream of eating that much of it all now but back in the day it was good grub. :D

Soldato
Primary school dinner favourite was that super cheesey block of flan with rice and gravy (not sure why that seemed like a good idea) with grated carrot and cheese.

Then I'd always try and get a yoghurt and biscuit for afters and put the biscuit in my pocket to eat in the playground... that made it better i guess :D

Soldato
Don't remember ever eating in a school canteen.

First School and Middle School didn't have one and brought lunch from home in Secondary School.

So for me it has to be a walk to the chip shop on Fridays for a 'student special' - Chips & Battered Sausage/Curry Sauce (90p) and a Pickled Onion (10p).

Soldato
Primary school was the best. This was in the good old days when fat, sugar and starch contents did not matter :D

Roast Beef, decent sausages, gravy Mmmmmmmmmmmmm - Me and the misses constantly remind ourselves how good it was back then
Pink custard and decent cake. Jelly
Seconds !!! Yeah baby

As the years went by, meals progressively got worse...Secondary school was utter rubbish.

Nowadays I ask my son what he had for lunch at school and think WTF - poor kid !

Last edited:
Soldato
Primary School - The cook was one of the kids mothers, and there was less than 50 kids in the entire school (4 kids in my year, me included lol) Her dinners were fine, but she was a proper mum, if you didn't clear your tray, you couldn't have dessert lol, and every kid always cleared their tray when it was chocolate sponge and chocolate custard day!

Secondary School - Never really paid much attention to the dinner ladies there, except one old biddy one lol. Food wise, chip butties every day (explains a lot) except when they did a decent roast. Hated the dinner card system though, you had to put money an a card and use it like a debit card, which meant if you wanted to buy a can for later in the day, you couldn't or you'd have to sacrifice something else, or get a friend to buy it on their card because you only had a daily limit on £2.50. Used to love it when someone dropped their tray though!

chips and spaghetti
roll and links for 38p
poke of chips for 25p
bar of tiffin
coconut buns
and millionaire shortbread
all win

WFT are links? poke and tiffin?!

Soldato
"For what we are about to recieve, may the lord make us truly grateful"

Most overiding memory is the single bucket that everyone had to scrape their leftovers into after the meal. Just the memory of this now is making me feel slightly nauseous.

Second memory is the metal jugs filed with red liquidy jam/syrup they put on the tables which told you you were going to be having semolina pudding.

School dinner is were I fashioned my current deep seated hatred of beetroot.

Back
Top Bottom