Jobs in Australia

Permabanned
[FnG]magnolia;21067558 said:

Are you serious?

HAHAHHAHA.

Personally I wouldn't mind, but as said, it's bloody difficult to go! Got relatives and friends over there, so might be worth a trip at some point.

Soldato
To the OP:

Best bet is to get a working holiday visa as people have mentioned. This is one year, or two years if you work 3 months in agriculture. I recommend the two year visa and also doing the 3 months of agriculture work as soon as you land (and somewhere like perth or queensland).

This gives you a two years visa rather than having to work for a year and then finding you have to go off and work elsewhere for 3 months to get another year!! Doing the agriculture bit really breaks things up when you are renting.

You have a 6 month limit with an employer and you should try to get a job where sponsorship would be likely. Find a company in your field and apply to them directly, you can use recruitment agencies but these make it very very hard to sponsor you (often the release fees are just too high!! $$40k+). Use a recruitment agency maybe for your first six month stint to get some cash from any job, then try going solo with actual companies you'd like to work for.

Salaries are pretty high and cost of living can be high but it's easy to live on a budget. My cousin and his girlfriend picked up random jobs, he works for a bank fraud department and she is a PA. Both get about $80k AUD which includes quite a bit of overtime on the top - this is 54k GBP!!

They have taken a room in a house with some great people and are saving a lot of money. Far more than they would have saved living and working in the UK and they have a fun life. They get quite a bit back from the tax man too and also get their pension back if they leave.

I've been here for about 18 months and absolutely love it.

Soldato
Well I have an Earth Science degree, with 6 years environmental planning and more recently asset management experience.

I have made several threads over the years about emigrating and not done it yet. This year seems right, I actually have savings now, moved out of parents to experience living on my own, I feel confident at work so am going to apply to Auz and NZ, and see what happens.

I am 83% sure I meet the criteria for the Skilled Migrant Cat, at least in NZ anyway.

EDIT: OP Why would someone give you a proper job with no experience? I'm not trying to be cruel but unless you have a mega degree why would they employ a foreigner with no work experience over an Australian graduate?

Just something to think about, try get a proper job in UK get 3 years work experience then apply for a visa. If you struggle for a job here go on a WHV, if you get a job out there then brilliant! If you don't then you can come back to the dole, recession, cuts and have a bleak existence in the UK ahahaha...

Last edited:
Soldato
Unsure as to the full details of the 'how did they do it' in this post, so hopefully others can comment and fill in the blanks.

I got chatting to a guy from Brisbane when we were on our Honeymoon, and he said the best way to get there if you aren't on the desired skill list is to apply directly for jobs.

We were speaking about a specific role at his employer, and he said that they had several people who had done direct applications for roles and then the employer dealt with the Visa application.

However, as many people here have alluded to, you need a very good salary to live comparably to the UK. When we did the maths, we needed A LOT of money to make it a viable option if you ever fancy flying back to the UK to visit.

A friend of mine at work here in the UK is in the process of emigrating to Canberra using the same method as above, but he definitely falls into the 'skilled in a niche' section of employment. He went out there on a business trip, got chatting to the 'right' people who actually sign off on these sorts of requests from an employer point of view and it all went from there. You obviously won't get that visibility applying online. Unsure how it might affect your application if you have never been to Oz either.

edit - obviously it goes without saying that this route isn't applying to be a 1st level IT Tech..... (second level at least :p)

Man of Honour
I got chatting to a guy from Brisbane when we were on our Honeymoon, and he said the best way to get there if you aren't on the desired skill list is to apply directly for jobs.

This can work but obviously you need to be something special so you are worth the hassle of the VISA process for the employer, etc etc.

Which, generally, a fresh grad wont be. There are plenty of Fresh Graduates in Australia.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21066207 said:
No, because you need a Visa to get a job, and this is difficult and time consuming. Getting a Visa which allows you to live and work in Australia unrestricted could take several years and is almost impossible without your profession, of which you have none, being on the on-demand skills list.

The only exception to this is the working holiday Visa - anyone under 30 can apply and its designed to allow backpackers to fund trips by working in bars etc. You can, however, use it to work anywhere but only for a maximum of 6 months with each employer and it only lasts for a year unless you work in argiculture, where you can apply for a year extension. But unless you are Mr Bigshot himself most companies dont want the hassle of people on this type of Visa so the only work you can expect to get really is temp stuff.

Average salaries are higher but then so is the cost of living. Fancy some chocolate? £2 a bar please.

This is true if you take the glass half empty view on life.

Speaking from experience; I lived and worked in Australia on a 457 visa for 14 months and have many UK friends who went this route:
If you get a working holiday visa you can apply for 6 months to work of your interest and most likely you will get the job if its relevant to your skills. The company can then decide if they will sponsor you for the visa, so if you have done a good job and have had discussions with them its totally possible.
If they don't sponsor you, then you have to finish after 6 months and take an "agricultural" job out of the city for 6 months. This is not that bad and depending where you can make a decent buck. After this you can apply for an extension on your visa and go at it again. If your line of work is engineering then you're laughing because Australia is extremely short on qualified engineers, which the need desperately.
The best thing to do it find a company from the offset who will pay for your 457. I don't know what line of work you're in, but if its engineering then its its doable.

Man of Honour
I don't doubt its possible and much easier if you've got experience and in-demand skills like you have. Engineering is sought after. But for a normal grad with 3 months work experience I can't see it going that easy.

And without a big pot of savings and an attitude that if you dont get a job it doesnt matter because you had a great time travelling anyway, the cost of gambling with the 457 idea might be quite extreme!

Soldato
It would be useful if the OP let us know what his degree is based on. If its anything technical he could be in luck. If its in performing arts of sociology then he could have a problem.

Associate
I am off to Oz in April on a permanent resident visa luckily i got in before they changed the visa application process and my job is on the SOL list, so the missus and baby are included.

From now on it will be a lot harder to get in on a perm visa, no sol list you just send your cv, details, quals and if your job is on their list they invite you to apply for a visa.

Then it's the points test to see if you eligible, then send quals and references etc to required government body to verify.

The 1 year holiday visa is not allowed once you are 31.

457 sponsored visas are not easy to get as they have to prove an Australian does not have the skills to do the job, so usually you need to have some rare skill, or a doctor etc.

State sponsored your tied to that state for x amount of years and same with 457 if you lose the 457 job you have a few weeks to get another 457 sponsored job or you have to leave.

Oz is no more expensive than Ireland, import beer and any import goods are going to be more expensive and the cars are a rip off like Ireland. A friend brought a 2009 BMW 520 last year and was told by customs it was worth 90000 Aus dollars so he got hit with a huge tax bill to bring it in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oz is no more expensive than Ireland, import beer and any import goods are going to be more expensive and the cars are a rip off like Ireland.

What you have to remember is, most people reading this aren't in Ireland and have never been shopping for household items in Ireland - so they have no idea how expensive basic "supermarket" stuff is there.

It's a big shock to most British people when they first go to Coles (a supermarket in Australia) & see the same 700ml bottle of Smirnoff they used to get in Tesco costing $35 (£23) - or 24 bottles of rubbish beer costing $40 (£27). Even the non-imported stuff is very expensive.

I remember seeing a small can of Lynx was over £4, Small 2Kg bag of spuds - £4......15 cans of Coke was £12.

That and the fact the "average" price of a pint in places like Perth (where most British have to go now) is almost $10 (£6.73) - with some places charging $17 or $18 a pint..... it gets a bit ridiculous.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743286

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Chap I used to work with went out a few years ago, he had no troubles getting a visa as a skilled IT professional.

No idea if that's an in demand skill or not but there was nothing extra ordinary with what he/we did.

Soldato
I don't understand why people are saying the cost of living is so high and a pint will cost you £5+..

I was there a few years ago (when the exchange rate was better, admittedly) and I found food and alcohol to be cheaper than over here. Fresh food especially so, since usually it is grown locally. I can't comment on rent and house prices but I assume salaries are reflected accordingly.

My experience is from Queensland only. So maybe it's cheaper there. All in all, I got the impression that living in Queensland you'd have the same or slightly better quality of life than you would over here.

Sydney is supposed to be one of the most expensive cities in the world. But I'd imagine being an Australian living in Sydney is comparable to a Brit living in London.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;21067799 said:
I don't doubt its possible and much easier if you've got experience and in-demand skills like you have. Engineering is sought after. But for a normal grad with 3 months work experience I can't see it going that easy.

And without a big pot of savings and an attitude that if you dont get a job it doesnt matter because you had a great time travelling anyway, the cost of gambling with the 457 idea might be quite extreme!

As always, agreed.

Associate
I'm an IM&T Analyst working for the NHS which in a nutshell involves installing, maintaining and troubleshooting a wide variety of hardware and software configurations, clinical systems plus end-user support. Anyone know how IT Support for Australia's healthcare system works? I have been toying with the idea of moving to Australia but I don’t have a degree, just tons of experience and a few college qualifications.

Soldato
If you're an engineer then moving to Australia is a very good idea at the moment. The money is obscene and theres a huge shortage of technically minded people over there. The last project I worked on over there, 80% of the engineering was done by expats.

The only reason I moved back is because I want to be closer to my family for the next year or 2.

Caporegime
I'm an IM&T Analyst working for the NHS which in a nutshell involves installing, maintaining and troubleshooting a wide variety of hardware and software configurations, clinical systems plus end-user support. Anyone know how IT Support for Australia's healthcare system works? I have been toying with the idea of moving to Australia but I don’t have a degree, just tons of experience and a few college qualifications.

Which part of the NHS?

Australia's health system is very regional-centric and at the moment they're actively not nationally collaborating. I won't get in to the details of why this is or is not a good thing for their patients but for your case it is probably a good thing as there are many regional standards versus one national standard.

Your lack of degree will be an inhibitor unless, as always, you have specific skills or know someone (this is common in Health) which can pave the way for you.

My brother lives over there, if you have a degree it's easy to get a job, and you get paid more

This is utter nonsense and you should stop posting about things you have no grasp on.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;21068557 said:
This is utter nonsense and you should stop posting about things you have no grasp on.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Australia is currently experienceing it's worst year for employment in the last 20 years. The the number of job vacancies dropped 3.3% last month alone - and as was stated above - Australian employers have been asked to actively give jobs to locals rather than new arrivals.

Australian banks are looking to scrap 7000 jobs & the total number of people employed in austalia fell by almost 30,000 last month alone (it was just over 7000 for November)

In a country of 23 Million - that's a fair bit, and one of the reasons most Aus economists are saying the jobs market is weakening very quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom