Cheap auto workhorse ?

Associate
Hi,

I'm soon going to be moving further from work which makes commuting more of an issue for me.

My wife and I currently have a 330i and an old clio 1.2. I use the BMW and my wife uses the clio. However, my new commute is going to be 2 hours a day (2-3 days a week) through slow congested traffic on single carriageway roads. I've tried this in the BMW and it sucks (it's much more at home on the motorway). Was thinking of using the clio but it's not very comfortable to spend 2 hours a day in and it's also getting on for 10 years old.

Any thoughts on a small / medium sized, comfortable car with an auto gearbox that's going to be fairly cheap to run? (I know this is not a common combination!) I have the BMW for fun so that is one thing this doesn't have to be!

Associate
OP
I think a mondy like that'll be hard to beat! Guess the mpg will be quite poor but the low purchase price and other running costs should make up for it.

Much as I'd like a nice new-ish DSG hatch or something, this makes a lot more sense.

Any idea how reliable the auto box is and whether it's adequate for the job?

Soldato
I had the 4-speed auto in a Focus last year. They aren't beyond terrible if all you do is pootle around town (which I did). However, the minute you try to boot it, forget it; terrible.

Back
Top Bottom