Hybrid sleep and hard drive activity?

Associate
My PC currently has a number of hard drives in and I am currently using hybrid sleep when it is not in use.

I have set my power management to spin down any used hard drives after 20 mins.

How does windows 7 deal with this? Does it set a timer for each individual hard disk? So for example, if I had Disk A and Disk B in my PC and I did not use A at all after start up but used B for some 5 minutues of activity, w0uld Disk A spin down after 20 mins and Disk B after 25 mins?

How does this alter after resuming from sleep? Do all hard disks remain spun down after resuming until needed or do they all start up again?

Thanks

Associate
How does windows 7 deal with this? Does it set a timer for each individual hard disk? So for example, if I had Disk A and Disk B in my PC and I did not use A at all after start up but used B for some 5 minutues of activity, w0uld Disk A spin down after 20 mins and Disk B after 25 mins?
Yes, the disks run on separate timers. This also comes into play when neither disk is being used, spinning one up does not cause the other to start with it. Sure makes things nice and quiet when combined with an SSD! :D
I think they spin back up after resuming from sleep, but they will spin back down again after xx mins if not in use
This is correct.

Associate
OP
Thanks for confirming that.

I was rather hoping that there was some way for the spun down disks to stay spun down even after resuming form sleep - i.e. to remain off until data actually needs to be read/written to them.

Back
Top Bottom