Do i have to have a home phone to have broadband?

Soldato
Strange question I know, but i just moved in to a flat and it has a phone line, but i dont want to get a landline phone, i have my mobile. So i just want a decent adsl bb conection. Im confused.. would the line work if i ordered a broadband conection? do i have to pay BT money to reant the line??

Soldato
I believe in most cases you need an active phone line as well, not sure of the technicalities of why, are voice/data separate now at the exchange?

A lot of companies now take on board the whole line rental, you deal with said company, they deal with BT.

For example I have my line/broadband with Sky, I deal with them solely.

Soldato
Strange question I know, but i just moved in to a flat and it has a phone line, but i dont want to get a landline phone, i have my mobile. So i just want a decent adsl bb conection. Im confused.. would the line work if i ordered a broadband conection? do i have to pay BT money to reant the line??

Yes you need a line rental. You do not need to connect a phone to it though or tell anyone the number.

Andi.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
You'd have to have a line you pay line rental for that would give you a landline, we don't use or have a phone plugged into our socket but still pay line rental and could plug a phone in if we so desired

Soldato
OP
Damn so I need to ring BT and ask to rent the line? for £13 a month or something? and then find a broadband provider. What a hassle. Unless I just go BT broadband. But i dont want to be tied into any long term contracts. Thanks for the help. Theres a tone on the line by way.

Soldato
Damn so I need to ring BT and ask to rent the line? for £13 a month or something? and then find a broadband provider. What a hassle. Unless I just go BT broadband. But i dont want to be tied into any long term contracts. Thanks for the help. Theres a tone on the line by way.

No, some BB suppliers will also supply a line, Plusnet will I think.

Andi.

Soldato

You can go through companies that provide line rental themselves, that way you only have to do one thing, speak to the broadband company, say you want broadband, say you need a line and they'll sort it without you having to go through BT directly.

Soldato
The company or isp will rent the line off BT as BT Own the line because of there history of being around longer when it was just GPO phones and no one else :) companies now do a whole package line retal BB and T.V and rent it off BT

Soldato
OP
Next question.. best isp these days? i was with virgin in another place, but i cant have cable here. I just want a nice connection, no gaming.. i download few albums films now and then plus watch Sky go.

Soldato
You can go through companies that provide line rental themselves, that way you only have to do one thing, speak to the broadband company, say you want broadband, say you need a line and they'll sort it without you having to go through BT directly.

But it will still be the BT engineers that come to your house to sort out and test the line ?

Soldato
If you can get Virgin, they do an optio where you dont pay line rental.

Example 10Mb;
£17.50 a month for 3 monthsthen £22.50 a month

Just read you need adsl... I know the cheapest would perhaps be BT where you can pay line rental for £120 instead of the £14 p/m (if paid upfront)... but not sure to be honest - I think you need a line rental with any of the adsl providers.

Last edited:
Associate
If your chosen ISP uses BT hardware at theexchange, then there's not a lot to choose from in terms of quality & speed of service, however customer service is important should you run into problems.

I use Plusnet, and their UK-based tech staff are phenomenal - they really know their stuff and don't treat me like an idiot (I'm an expert user)

I also use Zen for two other lines at other premises I manage for a charity, and they are also good, though I've never had to call them up to resolve a problem - so far.

I would avoid like the plague any company that doesn't have a UK-based customer support centre.

Man of Honour
You don't really, but most ISPs will force you to get one.

Well you really do. You need a connection to the exchange and, by the way, it's upkeep isn't free so paying something for it is somewhat inevitable. Yes it's a separate charge unless you get it from the provider but it's cheaper if you get it up front from BT and paying multiple bills shouldn't really be too taxing for most people surely.

Caporegime
Certainly with ADSL. I've just cancelled my landline and will be getting broadband only from now on, but that is with Cable (Virgin Media). If you sign up to a contract bundle, you'll almost certainly have to get a landline though.

Back
Top Bottom