Finally content

Associate
Hello All,

Just a quick note to share with everyone my joy at finally getting the PC I wanted built and stable.

I have been building/fixing computers for last 17 years, but had not built one from scratch for around 4 years.

At Christmas decided to get back into it and spec'ed myself a selection of components.

After getting around some minor issues - CPU Cooler not fitting with RAM Cooler modules being so high etc I thought I was good to go.

But for last few weeks I have been having constant issues with BSOD, random restarts and when all was "working" didnt feel I was getting the performance I should have been getting.

But now I am flying high with a system that boots and ready to use in windows in under 4 secs (ehm "cough" meant 27 secs).

Major lesson learned was that less is more when it comes to thermal paste and also that taking your time and keeping the feeling of "Lets get OS installed" at bay till everything is as it should be.

I also now appreciate the performance improvement that an SSD offers.

System clocked from 3.5 to 4.8Ghz with big fan now idles at 29c and never goes above 59c - even after 10 hours of Prime - This was night and day compared to first attempt of 40c idle and 85c under prime - as I said above - less is more when it comes to thermal paste!

Anyway, really just want to give everyone some motivation to keep on battling with any issues they are having - May seem like a never ending path that you are on - but once clear of the potholes and speed bumps - its a smooth, private clear highway of fun and geekyness!!!

Cheers
FS

PS: Read various reviews around my choice of board etc - But I must say - Cant praise it enough. Solid, feature rich board that offers all I want.

Last edited:
Soldato
A very solid high end setup. No wonder you're happy!

Ah, a wee fly in your ointment.. your signature is too many lines long, see the FAQ for the specific rules on it.

Associate
Your system boots in under 4seconds??? do you mean 40seconds??
From pressing power button to being usable take me 28 seconds, thats with practically nothing loading with windows. While im sure there are faster SSD that the one i have thats a serious speed increase!! I really hope you do mean 4 seconds!! Post a video please.

Soldato
Your system boots in under 4seconds??? do you mean 40seconds??
From pressing power button to being usable take me 28 seconds, thats with practically nothing loading with windows. While im sure there are faster SSD that the one i have thats a serious speed increase!! I really hope you do mean 4 seconds!! Post a video please.

I was going to say 4 seconds would be awesome! This is my cold boot, although it has sped up a little since then!

Associate
OP
Yeh...maybe I was a little over-excited.
Just "timed" it there... 27 secs which includes password promt at bios level and windows.

Compared to what I was getting when I was having issues and before that with my old pc - It feels like 4 secs!

:)

Back
Top Bottom