cheapest cooler to hit 4.5-4.8GHz on 2500k.....

Associate
To get 4.5 a solid air cooler is needed your looking at a Prolimatech Mega Harlems or the like. If you want 4.8 then you need the Alpenfohn or a Noctua D14 or if you go water an Antec h20 920, all of these will keep your temps in the low 70's @ 4.8 when stress testing and high 50's low 60's when doing normal stuff.

Come to think of it if you can find one the Thermalright Silver Arrow is very well priced for the performance it gives, equal to the D14 and beats the Antec 920.

Soldato
OP
To get 4.5 a solid air cooler is needed your looking at a Prolimatech Mega Harlems or the like. If you want 4.8 then you need the Alpenfohn or a Noctua D14 or if you go water an Antec h20 920, all of these will keep your temps in the low 70's @ 4.8 when stress testing and high 50's low 60's when doing normal stuff.

Come to think of it if you can find one the Thermalright Silver Arrow is very well priced for the performance it gives, equal to the D14 and beats the Antec 920.

ok thanks for the info. *goes off to amend New Pc Build.XLSX :cool:

Soldato
In all honesty the chances of your CPU being able to hit 4.8 on a very expensive air cooler but not on a middle of the road one are small. However you might as well go the extra 20 quid or so.

If you wanted though you could go for a 25 quid cooler and you'd probably get most of the overclock you would get with a 70 quid cooler. Sandy Bridge produces a lot less heat than previous generations that stretched the capacity of air coolers.

Soldato
OP
ok. thanks for the useful replies so far.

I really think I'm going to push the quiet thing. I think I'm going to exclusively use spectre pro fans in the case, so if i decided to use 1 (or 2) of these instead of the stock fans (or even better a heat sink that doesn't come with one) would this change anyone's opinion? and i think i would rather be quiet at 4.2GHz that louder at 4.5....

Caporegime
ok. thanks for the useful replies so far.

I really think I'm going to push the quiet thing. I think I'm going to exclusively use spectre pro fans in the case, so if i decided to use 1 (or 2) of these instead of the stock fans (or even better a heat sink that doesn't come with one) would this change anyone's opinion? and i think i would rather be quiet at 4.2GHz that louder at 4.5....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-031-SY&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Asus Arctic Square is better if you can find one though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom