• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 680 coil whine

Associate
There's rumour going on that some of these cards have noticeable coil whine. So.. how common is this problem with GTX 680?

I thought this irritating phenomenon was limited only to some AMD/ATI cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's rumour going on that some of these cards have noticeable coil whine. So.. how common is this problem with GTX 680?

I thought this irritating phenomenon was limited only to some AMD/ATI cards.

Given the some board partners sell both AMD and Nvidia cards there's a good chance they use the same make of coils for both Radeon and Geforce cards.

Is coil whine enough for an RMA?

Associate
OP
Given the some board partners sell both AMD and Nvidia cards there's a good chance they use the same make of coils for both Radeon and Geforce cards.

Is coil whine enough for an RMA?

I had GTX480 for 1,5 years which absolutely had no problems at all (no whine, nothing) i7 920 in combination with p6t dlx v2 and seasonic x-750 worked without any whines even highly oc'd.

Now I'm thinking of getting GTX 680.

Associate
OP
Coil whine is hit and miss with any card. Not much you can do about it.

Personally I've had less issues concerning coil whine with my nvidia cards than with amd/ati, but then I know someone who has had the opposite experience.

As I said, hit and miss.

That's was I thought, I could either play "the lottery" or wait for non-reference PCB designs. Either way it's a bit disappointing that all the signs point to some sort cost cutting scheme Nvidia had with the reference desing. That's shame because I could easily pay a few tens of euros more to get better components and/or design.

Caporegime
the induction noise from the mb's power saving interfere with the psu and gpu,some psu's are better sheilded than others against eloctromagnetic interference,sometimes switching the psu or gpu fixes the noise,i think youll be ok with a seasonic though

and its normal to hear a faint whine from outside of the case but no whine should be heard through headphones/speakers

you can mostly hear it when in game menu's ect but not in actual gameplay

EDIT: it can also be down to drivers too,maybe when nvidia drivers mature more the noise will be less?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the induction noise from the mb's power saving interfere with the psu and gpu,some psu's are better sheilded than others against eloctromagnetic interference,sometimes switching the psu or gpu fixes the noise,i think youll be ok with a seasonic though

and its normal to hear a faint whine from outside of the case but no whine should be heard through headphones/speakers

you can mostly hear it when in game menu's ect but not in actual gameplay

EDIT: it can also be down to drivers too,maybe when nvidia drivers mature more the noise will be less?

It's a hardware thing, probably there's are a few less capacitors than would be optimal for smooth delivery of current, hence coils vibrate.

Back
Top Bottom