• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

are the gtx 680 superclocked cards worth the extra cash

Associate
Looking to get a gtx 680. I have been looking at the pov ultra charged card and the evga superclocked card. Are they worth paying a bit more for or would you just get a standard 680. I play on a 27 inch led screen 1920 x 1080

Soldato
Absolute con in regards to the 680, from another thread:

by simply pushing a slider, I don't see anyone that buys any card@~£400 not being able to set a small overclock.

I also don't see the point at all on spending extra on something you can do yourself:

Msi has 2 7970's, £30 extra gets you 1Ghz, and a redesigned cooler cover, imho :eek:, rip-off!

Evga has slightly higher clocked 680's, 58MHz extra sets you back £38, :eek::eek: even bigger rip-off!

Nothing the stock cards can't achieve!

Associate
OP
So I have stretched my pocket to 550 pound and now thinking of getting a 680 4gb card. I m thinking of doing this for future games that mite need more ram . Is this overkill or is it the correct thing to do if I have the cash

Soldato
Ok thanks for the info , you have just saved me around 70 pound haha . Is there any need for a 4 gb gtx 680 on 1 screen ?

So I have stretched my pocket to 550 pound and now thinking of getting a 680 4gb card. I m thinking of doing this for future games that mite need more ram . Is this overkill or is it the correct thing to do if I have the cash

Horribly overkill. 4gb VRAM will only be needed in multi monitor setups

Save youre cash and get an SSD or something :)

Associate
Ok thanks for the info , you have just saved me around 70 pound haha . Is there any need for a 4 gb gtx 680 on 1 screen ?

Before plumping for a 1.5GB 580, I tried a 3GB model and tbh was shocked at how pretty much 2/3 of the available vram wasn't being used in arkham city at 1080p on full settings.

So yeah, I took it back and got and got the lower vram card that had the cherry picked chips on it, the SOC model instead.

Now running skyrim in SLI with all the bells and whistles (two months later), it maxes out @ around 1.5GB, but there is no slowdown at all. I don't play BF3, but I read it uses up to 2GB when maxed out.

With that rate of increase though, its quite possible vram requirements are going to shoot up over 2GB in the next 12 months, so if I had the option again, I would plump for the 3GB 580, then get whatever is out at the time when the next batch of consoles some out.

At present, as it stand though, games at the moment don't use over 2GB on one screen. Whats the requirements will be though this time next year, nobody really knows imo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For the 680, I think if they fix the volts, it could be a OC's dream. 6+8 pin would be ideal but the reference cards are fixed volts (as in we can't manually adjust them).

As for Superclocked cards....Save money and get sliding. (read Tommybhoys post) :D

Soldato
I looked at getting a jet stream, but to be honest the £60 premium over a reference 680 doesn't seem worth it (it is hard to tell as there are only 2 reviews and neither of them benchmark any games at the highest OC they got) - the OC you get off them won't make the difference between running a game smooth or not running a game smooth, so if a 680 won't cope with the settings you want (e.g. 1600p high AA, or 3 screens) then you're going to need 2 anyway so you may as well save the money and get 2 reference models

IF Zotac come out with one that can do 2ghz on air or water then that might be arguably worth it, also depending what price it comes in at

the current waterblock-on-reference cards are completely pointless as they won't OC any higher than air reference models

the 4GB cards also don't seem worth the price premium currently being asked of them

I would expect price differentials to come down some as availability increases

Back
Top Bottom