Refused credit/finance ona TV- advice

Soldato
So in currys today looking for a tv, pick one go through the process of setting up the monthly payments only for it to be rejected :( and no reason why.

This has me worried about my credit rating, i have never done anything like this before, no credit cards, no contracts. whcih has baffled me no end. i have however had two summons to court for late council tax payments. Would this affect my credit rating?

I dont even know what one is and whether mine is good or bad, and what it is based on, as i gave my parents address, details and stuff. Also how do i know if im on an electoral role

I just want a TV :(

Soldato
What happened with the summons?

Sign up and check out your credit report at Noddle. If you have any defaults, missed payments or CCJs you can say goodbye to mainstream credit unfortunately.

Soldato
Every time you are late with a payment it goes on your credit record, balanced with the complete absence of any positive news (i.e. paying loans or cards on time) your rating is through the floor.

Think about it, you can't pay the council tax, what chance have you of paying the loan? May not be true, but with no other knowledge of your circumstance that's what they'll think.

If you have some history with a bank they may be more willing, as they know more about your finances.

Soldato
How do i go about raising my rating above the floor...
Paying off a credit card would slowly improve your credit rating (if you can get one). But by god make sure you never ever miss another payment!

Judging by your first post, I think getting any kind of credit could easily make things much worse for you. Unless you want to get a mortgage in future, I'd personally just leave your credit rating as is. I'm sure you can save up for your TV. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
gave my parents address, details and stuff. Also how do i know if im on an electoral role

This in itself will stop you getting any finance, even if you did have a decent credit profile.

They need to find you on the electoral register at that address, and if it's home improvements/large purchase they want to see you as the home owner.

just make do with a crappy tv until you have enough saved to buy one outright. its hard to resist all these buy now pay laters but its better in the long run.

This.

If you can't afford the TV you want outright then that usually means you want something that is above your finical means, TV's are not expensive if you look around and don't go for a super fancy set, I grabbed a 46" Sammy last year for £299, mangers special off the high street.

Soldato
Bah, there's nothing wrong with credit. It's just a question of getting the balance right.

Most people either are too afraid to use it or use it too much.

Agreed, there's nothing wrong with credit itself. But if one fails to pay their council tax on time, and gets summoned to court, twice, they really need to tread carefully!

Soldato
Bah, there's nothing wrong with credit. It's just a question of getting the balance right.

Most people either are too afraid to use it or use it too much.

If you can't save up for a TV and have been late paying council tax to the extent that you've been summoned TO COURT on two occasions, it sounds like you were correctly declined.

Can't you just save up £300 and buy a cheap brand?

Soldato
If you can't save up for a TV and have been late paying council tax to the extent that you've been summoned TO COURT on two occasions, it sounds like you were correctly declined.

Can't you just save up £300 and buy a cheap brand?

He's not everybody. I was speaking in general, if he's missed council tax payments then of course he's a poor choice for finance.

Soldato
Are you on the electoral register at your current address?
If not credit is often refused automatically.

Go to creditexpert.co.uk sign up, await PIN to arrive, view all of your credit details in depth, then cancel the arrangement before the thirty days is up.

Back
Top Bottom