Free to play star trek online

Soldato
I figured now it's totally free to play and download I'd take another crack at it being a science fiction nut and a trekkie at heart....

Even for free I can't bring myself to get through the tutorial, it's painful!

Does anyone know of any redeeming features of this game or should they just put it out of its misery now?

Associate
I figured now it's totally free to play and download I'd take another crack at it being a science fiction nut and a trekkie at heart....

Even for free I can't bring myself to get through the tutorial, it's painful!

Does anyone know of any redeeming features of this game or should they just put it out of its misery now?

I was exactly the same. Big sci fi fan and wanted the game for ages.got it on f2p and loaded it up started the tutorial and got bored after 10 mins and uninstalled .perhaps mmo's aren't for me.i tried Lotro for around 20 hours before getting bored lol

Huw

Huw

Associate
Personally I think that there are really only two areas in which ST:O is lacking. The interface could be way better (anyone who thinks the interface in the X games is unhelpful should try this), and the away team stuff is absolutely awful. Despite those issues I think it's a solid game. Free + Star Trek license = lots and lots of players. Space combat is excellent. Epic space battles are epic. It's probably the best free MMO I've played (unless you count Rift Lite).

Soldato
Had a mate at work download this and thought would be something to play whilst getting over a hangover on a Sunday.

He said it awful, made the hangover worse and was promptly uninstalled.

Associate
I leveled a character to 30 before it went F2P, then stopped. A few days back I decided to try it out again, now its gone F2P, and tbh the core game isn't much different than it was before. But they have added quite a bit of deapth in some areas. The crew roster, bridge officers, duty officers, assignments for crew, expanded ship interiors (bridges, engineering, crew quarters, etc), some episodic content I haven't seen, more fast travel in the form of trans-warp. Um.. some new ships, weapons, mods, etc... But if you didn't like it before then yeah, you probably wont like it now. And TBH I'm only killing time with it until TERA and GW2 arrive. EvE is still the king, its just a shame that it feels like a having a second job that you need to pay for.

Associate
You will either like it or you won't. And as it's free it might be worth a punt or 3.. all it's going to cost you is time. STO's freeplay model is slightly different from most in that once you have the game you have all of it.

The cash shop is mainly made of non-gameplay items (like inventory slots et al), with some minorly better ships. But you really don't have to use it.

The tutorial is not the best in the world, but it is designed to introduce most of the basic's of the game, (like crouch + aim).

I enjoy playing STO, but again it's not everyone's cup of tea. So you can only make up your own mind as to whether or not it's for you.

Back
Top Bottom