Newbie OC Help

Associate
Guys, was at x43 on stock volts on rig in sig. Temps were at about 68ish. Thought it was running Prime 95 blended well for about 15 mins. Then BSOD :( Is that temp a tad high on stock volts?

So what's to try first? My goal is 4.6Ghz. I'll be delighted with that. Don't want to burn up my CPU with high temps so quite happy at 4.4 where I am now if needs be.

Using a five year old Zalman Flower cooler with Arctic Silver.

Idle temps at 26 - 29C. Everything stock except multiplier.

TIA.

Last edited:
Associate
I've not had a chance to play with a 2xxxk & no idea what 'stock volts' are on that motherboard but 70 degrees is right around the upper limit of my comfort level and the temp jump your describing between idle & load is similar to what I see in Prime95 running the small FFT torture test on the rig & speed in my sig at 1.30volts.

Having said that I'm very cautious with my kit, volts & temps compared to others, perhaps that old cooler of yours is right on the limit of what it's capable of if it's hitting 70 on a 4.3 overclock.

Associate
OP
Thanks.
Certain threads on the web I have read suggest the Zalman CNPS9700 is not up to cooling a i7 when overclocked much past 4Ghz. Can't think why though since as long as the temp is not excessive that's all the cooler is doing right? Cooler does not care about Ghz; all it's doing is getting rid of heat and if the CPU is at 68C then why should it crash?

Seems strange that it crashed at only 68C. Now I have taken the multiplier down to x 43 its as solid as a rock again.....

Associate
and if the CPU is at 68C then why should it crash?

A non-heat related issue, and if it's not crashing with the same issue whilst at stock auto settings then it's could be any of your cpu or memory overclock settings in your bios.

What's the blue screen errors your getting or does it just lock up freeze?

Back
Top Bottom