Gah Environmentalists!!!

Soldato
OK as some of you may know I work in a rather big steel work in South Wales, that is currently trying to reduce costs to see us through the current global economic down turn.

But at the moment it just seems that we can work our collective arses off to get the plant running at full tilt but we seem to be getting screwed over by either politicians that see us as a stuffed piggy bank or environmentalists slowing down a critical addition to the plant that will reduce costs significantly and create in excess of 500 jobs.

At moment we pay more carbon tax per tonne than any plant in Europe, which is placing us under extreme tension as we then have to charge more to create the profit margin needed to keep the plants running correctly (pay, maintenance and raw materials), we've informed both the welsh assembly and the government that the green tax is bringing the company to its knees, yet they seem to sprout this rubbish about green technology, where do they think they'll get the steel for there wind farms if we close down?

And now were trying to reduce the cost of raw materials by investing in a local drift mine that will provide us coking coal for in house prices which should keep the plant running for 20+ years... Now where being told that the opening is being delayed by a bunch of eco *****, that want the idea shut down because we would have to shut down a public footpath to a private beach???
The reason we are closing the path is because we cannot secure there safety but they seem to think its about the big greedy company (which injects a lot of cash into the local community).
The fact where they walk is across a dangerous area with multiple hazards, such as:
Massive moving machinery: stacker’s and reclaimers which are couple of hundred tonnes of metal with limited visibility and can easily crush a car without the driver noticing.
Moving plant: Big dumper trucks bombing down the road between the coal yards and metal reclamation yard. Also bobcats, which are driven around by wanna be Colin McRae's.
Dust, I know this doesn't sound like a big hazard but coke is conveyed around the path and its basically pure carbon, if it gets it your eyes it scratches the hell out of them.
Corroded structures, most of the tall structures around the paths have been condemned by our structural engineers and are being replaced, but bits drop off them at times hence the need to wear hard hats at all times.
Gas, the main path they like to use is right next to the COG main, which has similar properties in hydrogen content to natural gas the major difference is COG has a high percentage of carbon monoxide, the pipes have been known to leak due to corrosion hence the need to wear a gas monitor around gas mains.
COMAH: we are a COMAH upper tier site, i.e. we keep enough gas on site to cause a major issue to not only the plant but local communities, hence why we have a evacuation plan that is shared with the local authorities but members of the public on the site without permission are not taken into account so could be left behind in the case of a plant evacuation.

But instead of listening to the company and HSE, which requires us to protect everyone on site from harm whilst on site, even if there trespassing. The local council is entertaining theses muppets and putting 7000+ jobs across south Wales at risk...

Oh and before people say how can a steel works be green; we use 30%-40% recycled steel for every ton of steel produced, we capture and reuse nearly all gasses produced by the process. At the moment we are investing in projects that will allow us to gather off-gas from the BOS plant and heat loss from re heat furnaces so we can generate more electricity for the plant and the local area.
/rant
sorry bout that been in work since 6am and it just seems that its a up hill struggle, trying to keep the plant running on a shoe string because we can't afford to spend money on new plant because the markets down turned.

Soldato
Sounds like, in this case, you might have a real argument against what they think is right and correct. Is there any way you can engage them in sensible conversation and educate them?

The best way to go forward is probably not to judge and start name calling, but be adult about it. You might be surprised, some of these 'ecomongs' can actually be very bright when it comes to these things.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like, in this case, you might have a real argument against what they think is right and correct. Is there any way you can engage them in sensible conversation and educate them?

The best way to go forward is probably not to judge and start name calling, but be adult about it. You might be surprised, some of these 'ecomongs' can actually be very bright when it comes to these things.

We have tried, there favorite thing at the moment is to walk across the coal yard, instead of sticking to the roads so we have to shut down the stackers which means we arent feeding the ovens so were wasting enriched blast furnace gas heating ovens because we can't charge due to lack of coal. Either that or pulling the local safety cords on the conveyors so we loose feed to the ovens or stockyard and someone has to drive around the conveyors to spot the problem, which takes the guy off required maintanence work...
I wish we could just fence off the entire site and keep all the locals out, we let the fishermen come and fish in the deep water harbour because the path they take is clear from any hazards other than slip trips and falls, but this lot just want to see the plant shut and replaced with nice clean call centres.
Soon port talbot will become merthyr on sea... The mills are only rolling at night so the outlook is not good

Soldato
OP
How long has it been going on? And do you have any 'radical roots' links to the 'fight' against you? Likewise any links to what you guys are trying to say offically?

the weird thing is the radical lot don't seem to have a website, the lot that seem to be vocal but not activists agaisnt the mine is the save morfa beach, jsut search facebook. They like to hold demos at the front gate and write stuff on our sign...
I'm jsut hoping the market picks up, there looking at reducing the number of contractors, which is never a good thing.
The only good news thats happened recently, is blast 5 is ahead on its mid live service and should be producing iron by monday next week so the mill can start rolling 24/7 from tuesday. oh and balst 4 rebuild looks to be going well.

Soldato
OP
I was about to post the same thing - where is their eco **** from? closing public footpaths is not really an environmental issue.

no but claiming that opening the mine will increase the enviromental impact of plant, which is false as its gonna be a damn site cheaper to ship around plant than from brazil and austrailia where its stripped mined...

Associate
Shoot them and put em in the furnaces, no evidence and problem solved :p

I hope they move onto something new to moan about soon so they leave the plant alone

Permabanned
Sad to see Welsh councils shafting Welsh people, I thought they only did that to English people living there.

They are worse than my local council which is about as damning as it gets.

Have you tried bribing them?

Back
Top Bottom