Best coffee in London?

Associate
I've tried a number of cafes around London, and always keen to try out others. I normally order a flatwhite. The following is a list of ones I've been to, and a link to information on how I locate them. I just curious to see what cafes others recommend as a "must go to"?

- Dose Espresso: Great! And thankfully so as it is on route to work.
- Flatwhite & Milkbar: Great coffee, but small store.
- Speakeasy: Excellent flatwhite. Nice and quite downstairs with lots of books.
- Lantana: Good flatwhite. Nice simple decor.
- Tapped & Packed 26: Not happy with my flatwhite there. Only been once though.
- Tapped & Packed 114: Good flatwhite, and feels more spacious than others.
- Foxcroft & Ginger: Nice coffee, and cool odd pieced furniture downstairs.
- LJ coffee house: Nice and relaxed when having my coffee there when waiting to meet friends
- Monmouth Borough: Too busy. Open front so too cold during winter to have in.
- Monmouth Covent Garden: Good coffee. Busy. Small seating area.
- St Ali: Enjoyed the coffee and spacious venue.

http://pangosworld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/london-coffee.html

Last edited:
Associate
I can highly recommend Dose (take it we are talking about the same one on Long Lane?), definitely the best coffee i have ever had in london.

And thankfully it's on my way to work too, in fact it must only be about 50m! Perfect :)

Man of Honour
My personal choices at the moment.

Prufrock on Leather Lane *The best in London imo*
St Ali *although it's changing name soon to Workshop Coffee*
Sensory Lab *see name change above*
Notes
Espresso Room
DunneFrankowski at Protein *If you do go here, you have to try their brewed coffee - it's so different to anywhere else*

Yet to try the new Association Coffee, but I know a couple of guys who work there so should be pretty good.

Associate
My personal choices at the moment.

Prufrock on Leather Lane *The best in London imo*
St Ali *although it's changing name soon to Workshop Coffee*
Sensory Lab *see name change above*
Notes
Espresso Room
DunneFrankowski at Protein *If you do go here, you have to try their brewed coffee - it's so different to anywhere else*

Yet to try the new Association Coffee, but I know a couple of guys who work there so should be pretty good.

Just had an 8oz coffee from Prufrock on Leather Lane - WOW :eek:

Absolutely fantastic!

Soldato
There was a guy with a coffee stall at Swiss Cottage farmers market - he did the best coffee I have had in London, but it has been a couple of years since I have been.

Man of Honour
May I also suggest the company I work for: http://www.londoncoffeeguide.com

...developed by yours truely, and available in all good book stores :p

I've got the 2011 one, couldn't take it entirely seriously as it has Starbucks in it. :p It is/was pretty useful though. I currently have this book as well, which is very good indeed. Will probably pick up one of the 2012 London Coffee Guides too.

The problem with any books is they are immediately out of date though. But, I must say the London Coffee App is well worth spending the quid *I think* on and has been extremely useful when in a bit of London I don't know, on a sunday, with a caffeine deprivation headache kicking in. :D

Are you going to be at the London Coffee Festival at the end of the month? I'm going to be helping out at the UKBC Semi's and Finals, so feel free to hunt me out if you are. *I'll probably be the one hidden away, dealing with the AV gear, tweeting like a fool - that's what I've been doing at the UKBC so far. ;)*

Actually, I'd better mention that...

London Coffee Festival - 27-29th April
Old Truman Brewery, Shorditch

Loads of stuff going on, some great coffee to try and the UKBC Semi's and Finals on the Friday and Saturday.

More info: http://www.londoncoffeefestival.com/

Come along, show your support for the UKBC and say hello to me. :D

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
:o
I've got the 2011 one, couldn't take it entirely seriously as it has Starbucks in it. :p It is/was pretty useful though. I currently have this book as well, which is very good indeed. Will probably pick up one of the 2012 London Coffee Guides too.

The problem with any books is they are immediately out of date though. But, I must say the London Coffee App is well worth spending the quid *I think* on and has been extremely useful when in a bit of London I don't know, on a sunday, with a caffeine deprivation headache kicking in. :D

Are you going to be at the London Coffee Festival at the end of the month? I'm going to be helping out at the UKBC Semi's and Finals, so feel free to hunt me out if you are. *I'll probably be the one hidden away, dealing with the AV gear, tweeting like a fool - that's what I've been doing at the UKBC so far. ;)*

Actually, I'd better mention that...

London Coffee Festival - 27-29th April
Old Truman Brewery, Shorditch

Loads of stuff going on, some great coffee to try and the UKBC Semi's and Finals on the Friday and Saturday.

More info: http://www.londoncoffeefestival.com/

Come along, show your support for the UKBC and say hello to me. :D

You're probably right, but at the end of the day it is a tourist guide so you have to have at least one of the big chain flagship stores. But dont tell me about going out of date, literally the day after we went to print for the 2012 guide we heard St.Ali were going to change their name :o

I do the London Coffee Festival site too, it's all the same company along with UK Coffee Week...so I'll definitely be there :D

Actually there's a promo just gone out today to all LCF newletter subscribers and Timeout magazine readers for 2 tickets for £16 (saves you £3), just use the code: CAF1NE

Feel free to pass it around ;) (remember 50% of all ticket sales go to charity)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I like Monmouth coffee and I usually get some of their espresso blend for home. When out and about I've been knocked off my feet by two places:

Federation Coffee in Brixton Village. Excellent coffee (flat white is very good there) and very good little cakes that appear to be made by them. They have about 8 people working one machine to the nth detail and every coffee has latte art in the top. Well worth a visit but be prepared to queue for a few minutes. I hate having to call that place Brixton Village though!

The other one was (I think) called the Ethiopian Coffee Company. They have a stall in a food market round the back of the National Theatre and you'll spot it because it's run by a skinny black guy with teeth stained dark brown by the coffee who's really into it. He was teaching someone how to use the espresso machine when I went and, again, was checking every detail as he went. Very tasty coffee indeed.

Soldato
Well I went for it. Flat white to start my morning :)

Very lovely coffee.

006-5.jpg

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
The free festival magazine is now out and available for download so you can see in more detail whats happening :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom