Z77 boards - support Ivy Bridge out of the box?

Associate
Simple question hopefully :)

Will the new Z77 boards recognize the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPU's out of the box if I buy the motherboard now - or will they require a Bios Update before being able to boot?

Looking at either the Asrock Extreme 4 or Gigabyte UD3H (swaying towards ud3h at the moment)

Ta Very Much

Associate
I'm sure they will.

The Asrock extreme 4 seems a popular choice. Any particular reason over one of the other £90 gigabyte ones? I'm in the market..

Associate
For me the Asrock had everything I needed: 2 x pci 3 x 16 running at x8 in crossfire, 4 SATA 6GB ports and plenty of SATA 2, it has plenty of USB ports etc, a decent power setup and a few nice features - the xfast ram etc.

The extreme4 range since the P67 variant has a good rep for performance and value and I got mine for £111 delivered which is much cheaper than the z68 model but doesn't seem to lose any features. Read a couple of previews and it reviewed well - clocked a Sandy as high as z77 Gene and at fraction lower voltage.

Associate
OP
hmm ok thanks - on the asrock site its annoying but I cant seem to see exactly what was changed in the Bios release as there is already a new Bios for the z77 extreme 4 (1.2).

One of the items is "Update CPU Code" which was what triggered me thinking does this mean it needs a new bios before it will recognise the new chips if you have bios 1.1... I think ill wait until ivy bridge is released before buying the board.

Associate
Well my UD5 I ordered the other day supports ivy-bridge out of the box. Z77 chipset is built specifically to support ivy bridge and sandy bridge, though some features are only available on ivy bridge CPU's

Back
Top Bottom