Help Me Decide, MKV(5): .:R32, ED30 or GTI

Associate
Hey All,

I currently have a 2008 VW Polo GTI 9n3 and am looking to change in the summer to either an MKV ED30 or an MKV R32.

I think I already have my heart set on an MKV R32, I love the exclusivity, exhaust note and 4 motion as well as this may be the last x.x V6 in a small hatchback, I just don't like the MPG.
Price wise it seems that a 2008 R32 is cheaper then a ED30 at the same age/mileage, which seems a little odd to me as I would assume it would be the other way round.

I know if I buy an R32 I should be expected to pay a premium on the fuel side, however is it possible to alter the at all, obviously my right foot is the biggest variable here.
Can an R32 be remapped so that at lowish revs it has better MPG?

The alternative to the.:R32 would be an ED30 or an GTI, however with these two you don't get the exclusivity, 4 motion or that V6 roar, as well as they are so common on the roads these days.

Thanks for all advice,
Evoss

The Audi A3 is very much the same as the R32, yet the purchase cost is around £3000 cheaper than an R32 of the same age. This makes it a good purchase, as the lower price makes up for the heavy nose and terrible mpg.

Just buy a Golf GTI and remap it. You have to deeply want an R32 to put up with the running costs.

Soldato
If this were me it would be between the R32 and the ED30. The standard GTI doesnt cut it compared to the ED30. The only thing the R32 has going for it over the ED30 is outright grip, slightly better interior and noise. The ED30 is lighter, more nimble, faster (barely) and less thirsty than the R32. Plus you can remap the ED30 if you crave more power. The ED30 has better residuals because theyre a limited edition model.
A remap on the R32 will show minimal gains and is largely pointless.

Associate
OP
The Audi A3 is very much the same as the R32, yet the purchase cost is around £3000 cheaper than an R32 of the same age. This makes it a good purchase, as the lower price makes up for the heavy nose and terrible mpg.

Just buy a Golf GTI and remap it. You have to deeply want an R32 to put up with the running costs.

The Audi 3.2 just looks like any run of the mill Audi you see everyday, nothing special really in my eyes.

If this were me it would be between the R32 and the ED30. The standard GTI doesnt cut it compared to the ED30. The only thing the R32 has going for it over the ED30 is outright grip, slightly better interior and noise. The ED30 is lighter, more nimble, faster (barely) and less thirsty than the R32. Plus you can remap the ED30 if you crave more power. The ED30 has better residuals because theyre a limited edition model.
A remap on the R32 will show minimal gains and is largely pointless.

The only quibble here is that an ED30 is around £1-3k more expensive then the .:R32 of around an 08 model.

Also a remap on the ED30 would probably mean a new clutch and all that new power needs new brakes, increasing the price even more.

I'm just feeling like the .:R32 has more of a soul then all of the other cars and may be the last of the V6 line for hatchbacks.

Man of Honour
R32 has NEVER been all that in my book and seems to be one of the fanboy specials that has never impressed me when I've driven it, though I've only driven a MK5 to be fair. Sounds OK, looks OK, goes OK, handles OK and likes its juice, personally I think the ED30 will be quicker, cheaper to run and will offer you more tuning options if thats important to you. However, if the R32 is your thing I'd have one of them, itches need scratching.

Soldato
The only quibble here is that an ED30 is around £1-3k more expensive then the .:R32 of around an 08 model.

Also a remap on the ED30 would probably mean a new clutch and all that new power needs new brakes, increasing the price even more.

I'm just feeling like the .:R32 has more of a soul then all of the other cars and may be the last of the V6 line for hatchbacks.

You'd spend what you save on fuel in the R32, but like Housey said if it's a V6 itch you want to scratch......

Soldato
One word, Pirelli. Two words, Revo remap :D

From what I've read in the thread, you want something rare/exclusive but you are leaning towards the ed30. Bingo bango, problem solved. My best mate had one, great car - can't fault it. When he part ex it last year (2008 plate with 40k miles - perfect condition) they gave him £14k for it. We checked out the dealers website only to find it had been sold a few weeks later for £12k. Someone got a serious bargain there. :p

23498_104210402946908_1000007384551.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0014-2.jpg

And just lol at someone in this thread saying the R32 has a better interior...despite the fact its the same as the GTI in every way? :o

Associate
OP
One word, Pirelli. Two words, Revo remap :D

From what I've read in the thread, you want something rare/exclusive but you are leaning towards the ed30. Bingo bango, problem solved. My best mate had one, great car - can't fault it. When he part ex it last year (2008 plate with 40k miles - perfect condition) they gave him £14k for it. We checked out the dealers website only to find it had been sold a few weeks later for £12k. Someone got a serious bargain there. :p

[/quote]

If there was one for sale at a reasonable price then I would. Also there is only black Pirelli for sale on AT @ £16k :p

[quote="Duke, post: 21690372"]GTI/ED30 with remap, can't see the attraction of the R32 over it really.[/quote]

Exclusivity, 4 motion, sound.

GTI is such a common hatch, see so many on the roads these days, I would think I would feel like I bought a 1.6 FSI.

Man of Honour
Exclusivity, 4 motion, sound.

GTI is such a common hatch, see so many on the roads these days, I would think I would feel like I bought a 1.6 FSI.

Once the novelty has worn off, you're left with a thirsty, expensive car to maintain and has no value though. The GTI/ED30 is a nice place to be whether you want to commute, hoon, travel long distance, etc.

Soldato
ED30 doesn't have full leather. R32 does. It has that awful tartan cloth. Some may argue that its a more premium (hence better) interior.

Um, I believe it was an optional extra (be it standard in some cases) on the GTI. eg, a normal standard gti for sale may have the full leather - which I personally prefer, or tartan cloth with leather bolster - which to be fair isn't so bad in person. I also think the R32 'recaro' racing seats were a commonly ticked optional extra but as standard came with the same black leather seats as the GTI.

:)

Associate
The Audi 3.2 just looks like any run of the mill Audi you see everyday, nothing special really in my eyes.

the r32 deffinately has more soul than almost any 4 pot motor

Associate
Once the novelty has worn off, you're left with a thirsty, expensive car to maintain and has no value though. The GTI/ED30 is a nice place to be whether you want to commute, hoon, travel long distance, etc.

that noise NEVER wears off :)
its also a nicer motorway wafter than a boosted 4pot
it is more thirsty aswell

Soldato
Gotta be the R32 IMO :D

The GTI is fairly commonplace and somehow a bit brash. The R32 is understated and just plain better at what it does.

And having bought a MkIV V6 2.8L 4motion today, I can vouch that you won't regret the engine note :D

Back
Top Bottom