Dell Alienware M17x R4 Release Date?

Associate
Hi all,

I was just about to purchase a Dell M17x but got wind that the new version is on the horizon.

Can anyone update me on this, i.e. with the new Ivy Bridge processor and 7950 graphics in terms of a release date do I can make a decision to which laptop I should buy?

If anyone could shed any light on this, I would be grateful - I asked Dell Chat but they seem to be keeping the information locked away.

Cheers!

Soldato
Considering MSI have released their IB + Kepler laptops recently, I would expect the M17x R4 to be soon - May-July time frame I'm guessing.

Soldato
I would look for a cheep 17xR3 on the dell outlet and wait and see what the R4 is like as it is a big change (new cpu, chipset and gpu) so it could have issues.

Associate
I thought about waiting but as I didn't want to pay "too" much for a new laptop got a decent deal off the outlet.

2760, bluray, 8gb ram, 6990m, killer wifi with the 1080 screen for £1100 inc vat+del.

I expect the R4 will come out at around £1600 for the base model and you wont see any on the outlet till near Christmas, so depends how much you want to spend or wait.

Soldato
I thought about waiting but as I didn't want to pay "too" much for a new laptop got a decent deal off the outlet.

2760, bluray, 8gb ram, 6990m, killer wifi with the 1080 screen for £1100 inc vat+del.

I expect the R4 will come out at around £1600 for the base model and you wont see any on the outlet till near Christmas, so depends how much you want to spend or wait.

Out of interest, when did you buy that? I haven't seen anything decent on the Outlet in a while.

Associate
Brought it on the 6th of April, it gets delivered today..hopefully. (had a delay because I typed in my card number wrong)

I've seen a few decent deals since (I don't know why I keep checking, but I do) try and look around 2-3pm, that's when they seem to update them. I did notice 2 which were more or less the same spec for the same price yesterday.

For anyone checking over the last 2 weeks they have changed the "Family" order they have the laptops listed in on the filters on the left, you now need to scroll down as they are not next to the Alienware M17 on the list any more.

Soldato
Brought it on the 6th of April, it gets delivered today..hopefully. (had a delay because I typed in my card number wrong)

I've seen a few decent deals since (I don't know why I keep checking, but I do) try and look around 2-3pm, that's when they seem to update them. I did notice 2 which were more or less the same spec for the same price yesterday.

For anyone checking over the last 2 weeks they have changed the "Family" order they have the laptops listed in on the filters on the left, you now need to scroll down as they are not next to the Alienware M17 on the list any more.

Thanks :) I've got a Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with a GT555m graphics card, but I could do with a bit more oomph. Debating whether just to get a desktop instead as I don't need the portability, but space is at a premium.

Sorry for the hijack.

Soldato
Have a look into getting a 16F3 barebone from the US. It's about £800, that nets you a GTX670M and 1080p screen.

Next fish a CPU off ebay (sandy or ivy), grab some 1600mhz cl9 ram and a 7200rpm HDD.

Should cost no more than £200-250 extra.

For about £1050ish you now have a high end gaming laptop with a fully upgradable graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom