**Official Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Discussion Thread**

Soldato
You know what its quiet confusing!!! :confused:

SATA 3 0/1 6GB/S controlled by Z77
SATA 2 2/3/4/5 3GB/S controlled by Z77
GSATA 3 6/7/8 controlled by MARVELL 88SE9172 CHIP
MSATA controlled by Z77

By the way the manual says sod all about disabled SATA with MSATA must be why we got the big stick lables over the ports :D !! ( I am still looking) ;)

Soldato
I'm using this with a Xonar DS card and a 5.1 AMP (DTS connect), would I be better using the on-board or should I stick with the Xonar DS?

I got a Xonar D2 and I know that this M/B wont beat it , but for you it will be on par so you wont loose but you wont gain.

Personally I would stick with using your card and disable onboard! If you like your music you know separates are better!!! ;)

Reason I purchased this board is because it had a PCI slot for my D2! :)

Soldato
It does, its on page 11

Am looking all I got is for ports

Internal connectors

5 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
4 x SATA 3Gb/s "
1 X mSATA

SATA 2 5 connector will be disabled if mSATA used!!! OK i get it!!!

But where the 5X 6Gb connectors come from are all the ports 6Gbs SATA 3? :confused:

Soldato
I got a Xonar D2 and I know that this M/B wont beat it , but for you it will be on par so you wont loose but you wont gain.

Personally I would stick with using your card and disable onboard! If you like your music you know separates are better!!! ;)

Reason I purchased this board is because it had a PCI slot for my D2! :)

OK, think I'll sick with the Xonar as well, Cheers

Caporegime
Am looking all I got is for ports

Internal connectors

5 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
4 x SATA 3Gb/s "
1 X mSATA

SATA 2 5 connector will be disabled if mSATA used!!! OK i get it!!!

But where the 5X 6Gb connectors come from are all the ports 6Gbs SATA 3? :confused:

SATAIII = 6Gb/s

SATAII = 3Gb/s

The White+Grey ports are SATAIII (6Gb/s)

The Black ones are SATAII (3Gb/s)

Soldato
You know what just took the side off my pc, why on earth did they not just have gray or white, I got 2 grey 2 white 4 black and another gray by USB front panel header!!!

Whats the white for???

I need to know about this as am getting a ssd for my O/S, already have one 30gb ssd for readyboost, so need to sort the ports on the mobo!!! ;)

Caporegime
The white ones are the Intel ones (I said this in post#155 which you said was wrong:p)

Connect your SSD to one of these as they are "native" to the chipset and thus faster than the Marvell controlled ports (Grey)

Soldato
You what you might be onto something here!!! My story.....

When mobo upgrade i usually reinstall new os as I have always done, but as I have upgraded in stages I just could`nt wait untill I got my SSD (price watching you see! :p) it was looking at me ! :)

So I decided to do a upgrade and drop the os on top and hope to god and glory it would work!!! But nope BSOD, :( now me thinks its them grey ports as i have seen on the net it works providing the HD drivers were compatible in some way !!!

I have 4 hard drives so to be here I have threw win7 temp on a another HD, but need to get settled soon!! You know what its like moving home its a nightmare!!! ;)

PS I never said you were wrong, I just stated from my understanding!!! ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Another factor is the SATA ports can be switched from IDE/AHCI etc in the BIOS.

This boards default is AHCI (the best mode to use)

If you came of a previous board that was set to IDE when you did the install, this can cause a BSOD.

Soldato
Back ffs!! Kids !!! My 5yr old decide to projectile vomit all over the wall, and bed cover and electrical sockets and all etc hence my 1 hour late reply...lol Kids eh who`ed have`em!! :) o/jing!!

ON Topic if I can it stinks like s...! here phew!!!

My pervious board was a P5K I I am sure it was AHCI but tomorrow I will check as I still have my OS on another drive and will try and change the bios around for HD driver!! ;)

Reminds me of the days with win XP when you needed a floppy for the sata drivers!!! :D

Soldato
Yer I know as I said I usually do it but i had little time and thought I will drop it see what happens, if not do a new install on a drive and wait for my ssd!

I have done it before I think it was with win 98 from Intel mmx233 to athlon 500 and it worked ! :D Only time though I think with out BSOD!! :(

Soldato
Well am sleeping with the fish/tank tonight :) (daughters sick in my grave)!!! :(

So I am going to test it right now and see what happens!!!

Going to boot my old OS with IDE and see if it works!!! brb

Soldato
Well am back!!!

She coughed and spluttered but you know what !!!!

YOU WERE RIGHT! I changed the bios to IDE and bang i am now writing this on my 4 year old installed OS!!! :)

OC give this guya f.....g guy a job!!! :)

Associate
I thought the headphone front 3.5mm socket had an amp x-fi aswell, Not just the back pannel, Or am i wrong again. :)

I suspect not. I plugged my Antec cases audio lead into the mobo audio socket and used my headphones from there. It had noticable hum. No such hum when the headphones are plugged into the rear. Of course it could be the quality of the Antec wiring.

To my ears the sound is as good, if not better, than my Creative X-fi Extreme Gamer card. It has more bass than the discrete card so I have to tone it down with the GE. No discernable hum or hiss (at least to my old ears). Very nice to hae this all onboard. For me it's one of the big selling points of this mobo.

Associate
Stulid

You spoke about M-Sata above

What is it for?

Onboard mSATA Connector. Mount a low capcity mSATA SSD onto your motherboard to take advantage of INTEL SRT and RAPID START.

Lew

Back
Top Bottom