• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official GTX 670 thread***

Permabanned
Soldato
Gigabyte or KFA2?

I'd consider the KFA2. I don't think I could cope with the Blue PCB on the either though...

People saying they want a quiet card are worrying me, do you guys mean for overclocking?, my reference 570 was practically silent, I'm expecting the reference 670's @ stock to be quiet also, especially since they have lower TDP.

Depends on your definition of quiet :p

My definition tends to be the amount of noise my Enermax T.B. Silence fans make :p So anything as close to that is 'quiet'.

So something that says this:
The fan is the same design used on the reference GTX680 which as we saw in our previous ZOTAC GTX680 review was quiet during normal running but became noticeable under load.

IS not good :p

Hence, why I'm kind of leaning towards the Phantom Cooler xD Aside from that I just need something that's better than my 480... But the gains in Skyrim over a 580 is oh so tempting...

kd

Last edited:
Associate
Nooo i missed out on next day delivery :( Any chance I could get this in Gibbo for tomorrow?
EDIT: They'll do it for tomorrow now, woo! :)

Last edited:
Associate
To max out skyrim with all the best mods @1080p you need 2.5GB. I know this for a fact because I used to have 1.5gb 580 and had to make a slight sidestep albeit loose a bit of money to upgrade to a 3GB phantom. I've monitored vram usage using afterburner.

4GB would be massive overkill for one screen, but the 3GB 580's are only a bit cheaper than the 4GB 670's, so it makes for a tough decision.

Soldato
To max out skyrim with all the best mods @1080p you need 2.5GB. I know this for a fact because I used to have 1.5gb 580 and had to make a slight sidestep albeit loose a bit of money to upgrade to a 3GB phantom. I've monitored vram usage using afterburner.

4GB would be massive overkill for one screen, but the 3GB 580's are only a bit cheaper than the 4GB 670's, so it makes for a tough decision.

you say that but... I had slight issues at 1080p full ultra on 1.5GB, I went to 3GB and it solved my problems, I've seen over 2gb usage in BF3 (think the worst was one of the bigger B2K maps it went up to something like 2.4GB), but trying a 2GB 680 hasn't caused me any issues (VRAM wise)

VRAM maximum usage doesn't necessarily equate to minimum needed, games will load textures in to VRAM just because they can and not clear them out unless they need to (you can also turn off aero while running games to free up about 300mb of VRAM too)

OcUK Staff
Back
Top Bottom