• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official GTX 670 thread***

Soldato
To max out skyrim with all the best mods @1080p you need 2.5GB. I know this for a fact because I used to have 1.5gb 580 and had to make a slight sidestep albeit loose a bit of money to upgrade to a 3GB phantom. I've monitored vram usage using afterburner.

4GB would be massive overkill for one screen, but the 3GB 580's are only a bit cheaper than the 4GB 670's, so it makes for a tough decision.

Hmm, I've find with the mods I've currently got running it's fine at 1.5GB. I suppose if I upgrade GPU it would give me a reason to grab more mods, but still...

The 670 is definitely tempting though, I love the idea of 4 screen support (not that I have 4 screens)... That said, I do quite like my racing sims, so if I could get a third screen I'd be laughing...

Thinking I'd be happy to spend £200 on top of whatever I get for my 480 with backplate and Waterblock, so 370 might be stretching it slightly... where as if 580 prices fall I could save a bit more.......... ARGH... I hate this... Decisions decisions...

kd

Last edited:
Associate
you say that but... I had slight issues at 1080p full ultra on 1.5GB, I went to 3GB and it solved my problems, I've seen over 2gb usage in BF3 (think the worst was one of the bigger B2K maps it went up to something like 2.4GB), but trying a 2GB 680 hasn't caused me any issues (VRAM wise)

VRAM maximum usage doesn't necessarily equate to minimum needed, games will load textures in to VRAM just because they can and not clear them out unless they need to (you can also turn off aero while running games to free up about 300mb of VRAM too)

Yeah there's a school of thought in the modding community that skyrim running out of vram can cause crashes, but all I ever saw was huge fps drops when I got close to 1.5 (which was a lot of the time). I think its a lot more to do with borked saves and bad mods.

Me personally, I wouldn't fancy shelling out 400 on a card that I knew was already obsolete in terms of certain games requirements out at the moment. I would be much happy knowing I wasn't going to potentially run into problems, and had piece of mind having a vram ceiling where you had some not being used (like free hard drive space)

If I had the choice over again (upgrading from a 470), I think a 4GB 670 would be a good buy. £650 on a 680 4GB would be a fair bit out of my price range.

Soldato
People saying they want a quiet card are worrying me, do you guys mean for overclocking?, my reference 570 was practically silent, I'm expecting the reference 670's @ stock to be quiet also, especially since they have lower TDP.

I'm sure they will be mate, my 680 is the quietest card I have owned ever I think and TPU show the 680 as 3Db louder under load and 1Db quieter idle so I think you will be fine with reference

Associate
So I asked the OcUK guys if they could push my order for tomorrow as it said monday and they said no problem.
And this is why I have now ordered every component of my PC from OcUK :D Great speedy customer service.

I didn't even plan to buy a GPU today, but with those prices at that performance with that cooler I couldn't say no to the windforce :D
I'm upgrading from a 5870, hope i see a nice improvement :) First time on the green team too!

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know which one to consider, hmmz. Maybe best to wait a month or two and see what's out then? I have a 470 currently and it's so irritatingly loud. Sounds like a hairdryer everytime I play games.

Something quiet is a must this time.

OcUK Staff
So I asked the OcUK guys if they could push my order for tomorrow as it said monday and they said no problem.
And this is why I have now ordered every component of my PC from OcUK :D Great speedy customer service.

I didn't even play to buy a GPU today, but with those prices at that performance with that cooler I couldn't say no to the windforce :D
I'm upgrading from a 5870, hope i see a nice improvement :) First time on the green team too!

OcUK FTW! :)

Associate
EVGA GTX 670 SC (stock)
i5 3570k @4.5ghz
Asrock Z77E-ITX (yes it's an mITX board)
8gb Samsung Green @ DDR 2000 9-10-10-24 1t

evgasc.jpg

The cooler will be coming off, these short pcb cards are a godsend for us sff monkeys ;)

Back
Top Bottom