*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Soldato
Soldato
I really wanted one of these because of the USB-OTG as I could make a pretty tasty portable music system w/an external self-powered USB DAC/HP amp and my custom IEMs. However as ever, the USB-OTG uses a specific handshake so you couldn't buy something like say, the Leckerton UHA-6S and it'd work, and also the lack of a microSD card slot means there's simply not enough memory. Annoying. There's always the iBasso DX100 for an Android solution I suppose, 64GB + a 64GB microSD, Sabre DAC etc. Pity the software is a custom Android implementation that's a bit dodgy.

Jellybean includes better audio support ,

http://developer.android.com/tools/adk/aoa2.html#audio-support

I'd wait and see if the Nexus 7 works, I will try my FiiO E7 which is seen by windows as a standard 2 channel USB DAC..

Soldato
I don't know if you guys have been following the OTG progress.

So far the people who have them have been able to see the files on a USB/External HDD but not play directly. The only way so far is to copy it to the nexus and open it from there.

There is hope of course that because the nexus can see it the devs can work away for it to play it directly.

Soldato
There's too much talk on the hardware and storage support/OTG going around at the moment. There needs to more discussion on how weak the Google Play eco system is.

Soldato
What 'issues' are those?

Firstly there is a bit of a grey area around when Currys will actually get their stock and how much they will get. I seem to have read in this thread that when the Asus Transformer came out many people that pre-ordered had there cards debited but they were given the run around by Currys due to lack of stock.

Secondly I've decided to stick with the 8GB over the 16GB. I'm not a gamer and have Dropbox and Google Drive, so I think I'll be fine with 8GB.

I changed my order to the 8GB now that USB OTG has been confirmed working, but Google haven't cancelled my old order. The whole system seems pretty poor.

Yeah, I really think Google Wallet is a POS. I used it many years ago when it was first introduced and it messed up my order for one of the first batches of 8800GT's, so I missed out.

Its also messed up my 8GB order by doing multiple authorisations on my card, so I've been charged about £174 for the 8GB. But I still can't see the actual details because its put a hold on the funds but not actually debited my card (which is the right thing to do). I'll have to query this with Google at a later date.

It was a POS then and it still a POS now. Man they really need to get their act together and update it.

Soldato
I don't know if you guys have been following the OTG progress.

So far the people who have them have been able to see the files on a USB/External HDD but not play directly. The only way so far is to copy it to the nexus and open it from there.

There is hope of course that because the nexus can see it the devs can work away for it to play it directly.

even that is good, as you can at least drag and watch then delete

Soldato
So it looks like I was wrong about a fully fledged Google Play Store being rolled out to the UK. It will still only be Books, movie rental and applications that will be available to the UK when the N7 launches.

Very silly in my opinion, as the content delivery was supposed to be a big factor of the loss leading hardware strategy.

I know copyright holders are slowing this down but Google is a stakeholder in the negotiations surely?

Soldato
Jellybean includes better audio support ,

http://developer.android.com/tools/adk/aoa2.html#audio-support

I'd wait and see if the Nexus 7 works, I will try my FiiO E7 which is seen by windows as a standard 2 channel USB DAC..

The problem is while it can support USB audio-out, it's still up to the manufacturer to enable it at a root level, and even then some devices seem to work and others don't.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/and...-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/120

Long thread on it.

Soldato
There's no way I'm being bent over to the tune of £40 just for 8gb.

Hardly being bent over for the price of the unit though are you? The amount I will use it I am not bothered by that in the slightest, anything to make life slightly easier ;)

Soldato
im back!

questions i have asked so far:

Is it faster then your S3?
Yes it is because of JB and 12 core Gpu

what is the screen quality like?
exactly same as galaxy nexus

sd card slot?
Nope

Can you connect a usb stick on it?
Nope as its disabled in the karnel(root it and you are good to go! just install a rom that enabled usb host mode. thats it)

battery life
Great so far 8-9 hours battery life

aditional notes:
Bazel is quite large and it is the best 7 inch tablet available. They are also working on a 10 inch version.

That is what i asked so far. he went to the google conference

Last edited:
Soldato
What's his favourite colour?

No lie, I had literally typed the exact same thing out to the letter before I scrolled up and checked if someone else had :p

I know copyright holders are slowing this down but Google is a stakeholder in the negotiations surely?

I'm sure they are, and I'm sure Google are equally annoyed about how long it takes record labels/publishers to come to agreements on how their content can be accessed digitally.

Soldato
Can you connect a usb stick on it?
Nope as its disabled in the karnel(root it and you are good to go! just install a rom that enabled usb host mode. thats it)
Is this correct? I thought other people had said that USB OTG works, as in you can connect a device and read it, ie: USB drive or SD card reader (see 10 posts above yours).

Soldato
The problem is while it can support USB audio-out, it's still up to the manufacturer to enable it at a root level, and even then some devices seem to work and others don't.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/and...-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/120

Long thread on it.

Indeed, that's why I said "I'd wait and see if the Nexus 7 works".. there is a lot of variability in actually implemented features.

You can but hope, but if it's important, wait, I'm sure plenty will try it with their USB DACs as soon as it lands.

Soldato
I am having a nice conversation with him now so shoot me some questions!

Hows does the build quality feel, is it weighty in the hand?

How does Chrome browser feel/ respond/ speed?

Does he have any comparisons to draw on other tablet, IE Saming 7"/ Playbook in comparison to weight/ feel etc?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom