*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
OP
No, you have to do CBT either way, but CBT only allows you to ride a 125 on L plates, regardless of age, then because you are 21 you can do the DAS test, which means you take the test on a larger bike usually 500cc, once passed you can ride any bike unrestricted.
You don't have to do the DAS of course, but being over 21 I'm not sure why anyone would want to be restricted :p

Associate
So this is likely me not understanding or not reading properly..

I'm over 21.. So I go do the CBT, then I can ride a bike up to 33bhp? yes?..

Then, have I got to wait 2 years before I get something bigger or do I then do more tests?

When you complete the CBT you can ride up to 125cc with a maximum of 11kW power on L plates.

Then you can go one of two separate ways.

1) You can do the mod 1 and mod 2 tests on a 125cc and then you have a 33hp restriction for two years, after which you get a full licence.

2) You do what is known as Direct Access (DAS) and do the two tests on a bike of at least 35kW (typically a 500cc bike). Then you get a full licence immediately and can ride whatever you like with no restrictions.

No, you have to do CBT either way, but CBT only allows you to ride a 125 on L plates, regardless of age, then because you are 21 you can do the DAS test, which means you take the test on a larger bike usually 500cc, once passed you can ride any bike unrestricted.
You don't have to do the DAS of course, but being over 21 I'm not sure why anyone would want to be restricted :p

When you complete the CBT you can ride up to 125cc with a maximum of 11kW power on L plates.

Then you can go one of two separate ways.

1) You can do the mod 1 and mod 2 tests on a 125cc and then you have a 33hp restriction for two years, after which you get a full licence.

2) You do what is known as Direct Access (DAS) and do the two tests on a bike of at least 35kW (typically a 500cc bike). Then you get a full licence immediately and can ride whatever you like with no restrictions.

Makes sense now, Thankyou.

Soldato
To ride a 125 with L plates do I just need to do my CBT or do I need to do a theory test as well?

I'm 21 and have a full car license if that makes a difference...

Associate
this may annoy a few young riders but i passed my car and bike test in same week

bike test was on a suzuki ap50 and i can ride what the hell i like since then

Associate
Might want to add to the start of this the proposed changes coming into effect from January 2013

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201188

Am I undertanding this right. New riders taking a CBT will have to take:

1. CBT AND
2. Written test AND
3. Practical test

As a CBT is only valid for 2 years, does this mean that those of us with a full driving license will have to have a written and practical test every 2 years to accompany that CBT, or does the fact that I have a full DRIVING license proclude me from 2 & 3?

Many thanks

Soldato
Once you obtain your full BIKE licence you'll not have to do your CBT or theory again. You only need your theory test to be able to take your full practical test.

However, if you don't do your full test, you'll have to do your CBT every 2 years, regardless if you've got a full CAR licence.

Associate
Once you obtain your full BIKE licence you'll not have to do your CBT or theory again. You only need your theory test to be able to take your full practical test.

However, if you don't do your full test, you'll have to do your CBT every 2 years, regardless if you've got a full CAR licence.

That's the current status, and I get that. What I don't get is, do you have to take a practical and theory test as part of the CBT, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A FULL CAR LICENSE...?

Soldato
The CBT doesn't have a theory test. You have to do a practical 'test' which is basically a ride out after your days training to show you're competent. The only thing a car licence will allow you to do is if you obtained your licence before 2001, you can ride a moped with no L plates, thats the only real difference.

Associate
The CBT doesn't have a theory test. You have to do a practical 'test' which is basically a ride out after your days training to show you're competent. The only thing a car licence will allow you to do is if you obtained your licence before 2001, you can ride a moped with no L plates, thats the only real difference.

According to the link it will have a theory test from 2013....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201188

It reads:

New riders from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, the following new rules will apply.

Passing your driving test for a moped after 19 January 2013

The minimum age to ride these vehicles will still be 16 years, and you’ll still need to pass your:

compulsory basic training (CBT)
theory test
practical test

Once you've passed your tests, your entitlement will be shown on your driving licence as:

category AM (the European category)
category Q

If you choose to pass another test first, such as cars or light motorcycles, you'll receive the entitlement to drive mopeds as well. However, you will need to pass your CBT to ride them on the road (as now). Your moped entitlement will be shown as above (categories AM and Q).

Back
Top Bottom