BenQ XL2420T Now available

Associate
I have mine around 20-30 brightness but have gone down to 0 a few times.

The Xbox 360 looks great on it, haven't noticed any problems the couple of times I've tried it on it. The only reason I've plugged it into it is due to the monitor running a lot cooler than my tv in this heat ATM lol. Shame M$ won't come out with a display port though, theoretically, if they did, or say the new gen, would you be able to get 120hz then? Though I expect by the time the new ones come out, the display port will be out of date like the hdmi :(?

Soldato
Haha no wonder you changed it, my defaults are all at 50 like they should be.

The factory default for brightness in 'Standard' mode is 100 which yields around 340 cd/m2 (very bright indeed). For 'FPS1' which is the monitor default it is also 100 but contrast is massively reduced yielding a 200cd/m2 or so peak luminance without lowering the black level. Colours are atrocious in this mode and even the defaults under 'Standard' mode leave a lot to be desired. The fact that you are trying to compensate for this by using Digital Vibrancy is quite telling - I know this is a popular choice for Nvidia users on this monitor but there is certainly a lot of setting up to be done via the OSD of the monitor.

Permabanned
The factory default for brightness in 'Standard' mode is 100 which yields around 340 cd/m2 (very bright indeed). For 'FPS1' which is the monitor default it is also 100 but contrast is massively reduced yielding a 200cd/m2 or so peak luminance without lowering the black level. Colours are atrocious in this mode and even the defaults under 'Standard' mode leave a lot to be desired. The fact that you are trying to compensate for this by using Digital Vibrancy is quite telling - I know this is a popular choice for Nvidia users on this monitor but there is certainly a lot of setting up to be done via the OSD of the monitor.

Well mine all came on 50. So the factory settings cant be 100 for all monitors

Soldato
Just to re-iterate, this monitor (120Hz specifically) has been the biggest single upgrade I have made to my game. I would have never ever of believed it from being told alone but the smoothness and reduced input lag just seems to put my game on fire compared to before.

If you are on the fence over 120Hz then jump over, the 2420T is not a bad choice for it either!

Soldato
Just to re-iterate, this monitor (120Hz specifically) has been the biggest single upgrade I have made to my game. I would have never ever of believed it from being told alone but the smoothness and reduced input lag just seems to put my game on fire compared to before.

If you are on the fence over 120Hz then jump over, the 2420T is not a bad choice for it either!

Agreed. The benefits of 120hz shouldn't be understated. It was a tough choice for me about deciding whether to get a 2560*1440 IPS monitor or the XL2420T and I'm glad I went the way I did. Having played 60Hz on various differing qualities of flat screen monitors the difference was remarkable.

My BF3 skills have definitely improved!

Associate
Agreed, i found that my kill death ratio in bf3 improved massively when i bought this monitor. I think there are too many gamers still buying 60hz monitors or being told that ips panels are amazing which i dont think is true. I sold my dell u2711 for the benq and have never looked back :p

Soldato
I was massively on the fence over 2560x1440 or 120hz for months.
In the end got the dell U27 yesterday and the games look amazing at the res.
I'll try a 120hz panel one but only when i build my second system

Permabanned
Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and seeing where things land? Sometimes retailer or post-manufacture tweaks are made to the default settings. Either way the image is far from perfect without further adjustment.

No need to the settings that came with it all on 50 with adding digital vibrance to 70 makes it perfect.

Soldato
Yeah - but not for gaming, when compared to a 120Hz TN - that's the point being made :p

I know, it was the point I made originally!! Ha ha:

Agreed. The benefits of 120hz shouldn't be understated. Having played 60Hz on various differing qualities of flat screen monitors the difference was remarkable.

My BF3 skills have definitely improved!

What I was saying is that not all games really benefit from 120 Hz as much as they would from a nice IPS screen. You can't club all together as 'gamers' and pick a monitor based on that tag. :)

No need to the settings that came with it all on 50 with adding digital vibrance to 70 makes it perfect.

As I've said before, is that calibrated properly 'perfect' or in your eyes perfect? There's a huge difference between the two. Have you compared between one calibrated and one at 50 for all settings?

50 default all settings is not perfect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom