Can you lose your house in a divorce if its 100% owned by you?

aln

aln

Associate
As others have suggested it depends. I AM NOT A LAYWER, but I think it should go something like this:-

> If you've paid for it solely, during or before, it should remain yours fully.
> If she argues that shes partially contributed, then she should be due what she has contributed.
> If you have kids with her, you're gonna get the raw end of the deal.

Where things get messy is what actually is considered a contribution. If she does a disproportionate of housework for example, she could argue that she has been supporting you in your efforts and this is detered her ability to proceed in her current and future worklife. I'm not actually sure if this argument would work normally in the UK, but add in some kids or add in her being a stay at home wife, and you'll likely be in a bit of a mess.

As others have mentioned, this can all happen without actually getting married and the law isn't equal over the full of the UK.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay how about this. You dont get married but she moved in and you have kids with her, then you break up. You agree to help support the kids or whatever, do your part sort of thing.

Can you lose your house then?

Soldato
Divorce judgements have always seemed rather sexist to me. Then again marriage as a whole has always seemed a rather pointless venture but what do I know :p.

Soldato
Are prenuptials legal in the uk, i thought thats in america only

United Kingdom
Prenuptial agreements have historically not been considered legally valid in England. This is still generally the case, although a 2010 Supreme court test case between the German heiress Katrin Radmacher and Nicolas Granatino,[2] indicated that such agreements can "in the right case" have decisive weight in a divorce settlement.[3] The Law Commission is due to consider whether a change should be made to the letter of the law, recognizing prenupts in a more general way; they will report on the matter in 2012.

Soldato
If i owned a house and then got married id sell my house and invest half the money in a new house with the mrs

that way if you part you only get back what you put in

madness moving a woman in if you own your house 100%

Soldato
If it's a joint mortgage then everything is 50/50 but you may not be able to force a sale - the court can insist the children are raised in the house until they are 16. If the mother is given custody then obviously you have a problem.

However - your half of the mortgage is always yours.

If you're the outright owner - I think the same thing applies, however - the house remains yours. No value of the house if ever awarded to your ex but she may end up living there.

I think these are exceptional circumstances when the mother (your ex) is completely unreasonable and it has to be a courtroom decision.

This is advice from a solicitor.

Anyway you look at it - you could end up broke and homeless. But at least your ex won't be getting half your pension and everything else which is what can happen in a divorce.

Caporegime
It will go 50/50, pre nups are generally not worth the paper they are written on.

You can lose out even more if there are children involved.

It does not matter you pay for it 100%, before the marriage, during or given to you.

I guess the only way to get round it is put the house in your parent's name, pay them the mortgage as rent. So technically you are just renting.

Caporegime
Sell the house for £1 and then have it transferred back to you after the divorce. A local company did this with its assets after a dispute between the directors.

Associate
OP
If you want a divorce then stick it out for a while and persuade the wife to move to Scotland for 'a new job opportunity'. You won't have to give her as much in Scotland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Scotland--knowing-divorce-cheaper-there.html

She got 750k and a family home :eek:

For co-habitation in scotland it dosent look like you lose your house:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/113318/0027450.pdf

All the stuff you buy together could be split down the middle though if you cant agree who owns what.

Back
Top Bottom