Hot/warm hatch <5k

Soldato
Hello all :)

I got t-boned on my way home from work on Friday night by a guy who drove straight across a crossroads without noticing it was there. Ironically i ended up buried in the front wall to the grounds of a hospital. Everything hurts especially my right shoulder where I clouted the doorframe, but thankfully nothing broken. Also very glad the kids weren't in the car.

Anyway, my Fabia vRS (I know they're disliked on here but I liked mine :)) is a complete mess. Front wheel off, front wing and door crumpled, bonnet pushed up, drivers door wouldn't open properly. I'm assuming at this stage it'll be written off.

After the insurance settlement (thankfully there'll be no arguament about fault, the other chap admitted liability to the police at the scene) I'll have about 5k to spend. I want something quickish (at least as fast as the vRS) and able to seat four and a bit of luggage. I do about 10k miles a year so nothing really thirsty. Also I'd prefer petrol this time. The wife already has a big car (Vectra) so I don't really want anything enormous (no Mondeo/Passat etc). I've seen a couple of Fiesta ST's in budget but not having much inspiration apart from that.

Thanks for reading all that! All (sensible) suggestions appreciated

Soldato
I was going to suggest a Fiesta ST. I picked up an 08 2 months ago for £5k. They can be had for cheaper and are great cars. There is plenty you can do to them to smarten them up, if that's your thing.

2012-10-07%2012.46.57.png

I very nearly went down the clio route but I'm glad I didn't. They certainly are the better hot hatch but the build quality put me off.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Octavia VRS? MkII would be doable in budget but would probably be near 100k miles.
Leon Cupra (would prob only get a mk1 in this budget).
Civic Type R

Last edited:
Associate
At that budget I'd be looking for a nice ep3 Civic Type R or a DC2.

A Leon Cupra R is an alternative but I owned one and found it quite dull.

Fiesta ST is too slow, I wouldn't bother.

Soldato
OP
At that budget I'd be looking for a nice ep3 Civic Type R or a DC2.

That might be a good call. Not sure if having to rev the **** off it to get to the power would wear thin though. I didn't really like the general dieselyness of my vRS but the instant shove at lowish revs was good. (I know the shove wasn't actually that big :p)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Are focus St's sub £5k now?

That is budget should allow you to net a wide range of clips ports, fiesta ST, older golf's, civics and maybe, an ST220 if you like the look of them.

Man of Honour
Must be able to comfortably seat four? That's the Fiesta ST and 182 out if it then, surely? They're not exactly roomy cars.

Civic Type R or Leon Cupra R are the only two choices for the OP IMO.

Soldato
OP
I didn't say comfortably :D.

There will be occasional times when I need to take more than one passenger, so two seaters are out. As long as they can get in and out without amputating their knees I'm happy. We've got a V6 Vectra for long distance family stuff so that's not a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom