Games to test overclock?

Soldato
Hey all, I have previously overclocked my 7870, incrementally increasing both clocks, and it was fine in benchmarks/furmark burn in. I only stopped becauyse I thought something was amiss/ too good to be true. When I went to play Witcher 2, it artifacted massively (even at reduced overclock... stock... half clocks). I thought it was a dead card until I restarted the computer. It worked fine at stock after a restart.

So now that I've stopped wetting myself and changed pants, I want to try overclocking it again. I am thinking I should stress test with a game instead of Furmark, so recommend a good stress test game? Specs in Sig.

Associate
Witcher 2 is a good one, absolutely hammers graphics cards. Battlefield 3 is also good as you can tweak it to load both GPU and CPU equally (due to its high level of multithreading).

Associate
Bf3. Funny enough when stress testing for hours with prime 95 my oc passes. When bf3 plays it crashes it in 10-20 mins :)

Extra heat from the GPU heats up the case and reduces cooling efficiency. The extra power draw can also cause ripples on the supply, depends how good your motherboard and PSU are really.

Associate
I run heaven to test my overclocks, if you have any issues out of heaven test your ram with memtest.

My card will artifact if I put too much voltage through it, doesn't seem to be the clocks, it can run at 1300/1600 with the stock 7970 volts but if I add more volts it will artifact, bit weird but it's how it is.

Back
Top Bottom