les paul guitar fault help

Soldato
hey guys

i've got an epiphone les paul but have a problem with the pickup switch.

treble is one pickup
rhythm is the other pickup.
but the middle position is only one of the pickups, not both.

i think its always been like this (i'm only learning).
i took the screws off the back and can't see a problem.

any ideas?

cheers

Associate
Hey,

Just to understand further.. how do you know it's only one?

have you tried lightly tapping each pickup with something metal on each setting? Will give quite a clear indication if it's live.

Soldato
OP
ok - treble position - one active - bottom volume controls this
rhythm - one active - top volume controls this

middle - only rhythm volume produces sound - if i turn that down i get nothing.

tapping both pickups in the middle position works

Soldato
OP
hmm, i think i'm being an idiot.
just put some contact cleaner and seems to be working as you describe - before, in the middle position, even with one turned off i could still use the volume on the other and get sound, so that made me think one was faulty - i think that was what was happening - i've confused myself now!
but its working.

Associate
Takes a bit of getting used to with separate volumes and tones for pickups, but when you master the volumes and pickup positions you can get some great tones.

Soldato
You should be able to hear the tone difference between the bridge, neck and both with the different rocker positions. Does sound like it's fine from your description.

Soldato
You should be able to hear the tone difference between the bridge, neck and both with the different rocker positions. Does sound like it's fine from your description.

Pretty much this. There is a distinct difference in sound between all three. Just set the volumes and tones to max for each pickup and switch the rocker to see if you can tell the difference. The sounds should be very noticably different.

Back
Top Bottom