kicking people out of the group last minute

Permabanned
Just wondering if i was too harsh, kicking 3 members out of the group last minute, and now they will fail. these 3 did not contribute to the group, and as i didnt know how it was going to be marked i decided as team leader to kick them out at the last hour of the deadline, so they have no hope in hell to get a mark now.

Soldato
129157564596637678.gif

Soldato
I suppose it depends what is being marked.

End result or the ability to work as a team? if it's the latter i'd say you're all screwed :D

You've not exactly put a lot of details in tbh so it's hard to judge.

Permabanned
OP
I suppose it depends what is being marked.

End result or the ability to work as a team? if it's the latter i'd say you're all screwed :D

You've not exactly put a lot of details in tbh so it's hard to judge.

We had to do a financial maths project at Stanford, they didnt reply to any emails, nor did they give any input. plus was not sure if the marks will be based on everyones input to the project as a team or per individual, I was worried that they would bring down the overall mark.

Soldato
The few times I've had to do group projects then an element of the mark, or a weighting of the mark, has been related to the ability to work together as a team ... hence kicking people out at the last minute would not have gone down well.

You should have gone to your tutor/supervisor prior to this and asked how they thought you should proceed rather than just throwing them out now.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
You may not even be allowed to throw them out anyway. If you've been assigned a group to work with then you don't get a choice.

I'm not saying group work is easy but if you were having trouble you shouldnt have left it to the the last minute. Being the team leader isnt about bossing people around, its about getting everyone to work together. What I'm trying to say is this will probably reflect worse on you than it will on them.

Permabanned
Just wondering if i was too harsh, kicking 3 members out of the group last minute, and now they will fail. these 3 did not contribute to the group, and as i didnt know how it was going to be marked i decided as team leader to kick them out at the last hour of the deadline, so they have no hope in hell to get a mark now.

if anything it shows you're a poor team leader if you need to second guess yourself and make last second decisions.

Associate
I hated group projects at Uni, having to carry hopeless worthless lazy people. In one I pretty much did the whole thing, all they had to do was prepare a powerpoint presentation, they left it to the night before and it was a disaster when we presented, to say I was not happy is an understatement. Next group project on the course I kept a work log of contributions and activities, who did what etc. If they didn't contribute they deserve to fail, don't feel guilty, you're giving them a life lesson.

Associate
If they haven't done any work, or put in enough effort, I imagine that will go against them. How ever you waiting until the last minute to kick them will also be looked down upon I imagine.

Soldato
As a Group assignment team leader its in the job description to get people to participate, They may not have known what to do and required the team leader to give them roles.

If you did not do that then you deserve to fail just as much as them

Associate
I had this problem when a was at uni, i was the team leader and 3 people out of 6 didn't contribute to anything. I told them they needed to start doing some work and only one of them actually started to contribute, this member started to do the best work for the group and we became good friends.

The other two i just kicked them out without telling them. Told the tutor i wasn't putting their names on the assignment. They failed and left the course. I gained marks for leadership on that assignment.

Some people just refuse to do work in a team situation.

In your situation i would kick them out, explain to the tutor that you are not prepared to allow people to have credit for work they have not done. This isn't school or college, you've paid a lot of money for this education, don't allow some scum to ruin it for you.

Soldato
What a horrible thing to do!

I also had this problem, but why deny them a mark, if you're going to kick them out at least give them time to regroup wtih someone else \:

Back
Top Bottom