What is the car I'm looking to buy? (5k)

Soldato
Ok, so quite a few restrictions, desires aims, looking for whatever options available. Will be looking to buy come Summer probably, but I'm being curious.

Currently have a Ka, and whilst the body roll whilst throwing it around corners can be fun, I'm understandably considering some kind of upgrade...

Average annual commuting is around the 3k mark, but lets say I'll be doing 5k just to be generous. Put it this way, I certainly don't need a diesel.

So, the list of hopeful requirements:
  • Relatively new, up to 5, maybe 7 years
  • Something smallish. (The car parking space is small)
  • Something with a bit of power, something a bit fun. The journey would be through some B roads, and they're nice and wiggly and quite fun providing traffic is reasonably empty
  • Preferably a bit stylish
  • Not awful on insurance, I'll be 21. (Willing to go up to £1000)
  • Preferably FWD. Ice and such like is common on our poor B roads, I'd rather be more confident with a bit more power before going to RWD. (INB4 man up)
  • Relatively low maintenance cost
  • It would be nice if when I have issues it's relatively easy to fix, something that with a Haynes manual and a decent spanner and wratchet set, I could fix most of the stuff, and learn a bit more...
  • Something not too laddish, more kind of aspiring business man. Kind of leaning towards something German, but not too strict.
  • Reliable
  • 5k budget

Ok, so I'm aware some of these desires are more sensible than others, and I'm more than aware I'll have to compromise somewhere.

What options are available?

For the record, if money was no object, I'd be looking probably at a nice RS3 or 1M. Hopefully that'll help with taste...

Fiesta seems like the obvious choice, but don't really want one per se

kd

Last edited:
Soldato
What about going a little bit older and getting an mx5 or mk3 mr2? Insurance should be reasonable, great fun even at relatively low speeds, will fit in small parking space

I would imagine insurance would prohibit a clio 197 or fiesta st, renaultsport twingi looks too expensive - cooper s worth a look but I've a feeling insurance would be a killer there too.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I considered something like that... (Mx5)

I'm not sure how fond I'd be of getting in one on a daily basis to be honest, especially in the winter months... Whilst I think it might be great in summer months, in winter I'd certainly be worried. We have quite a few deer around, so that also makes me slightly more concerned about something like an mx5 for some reason...

I considered a 350Z for a brief time. But it's not really in budget.

Nissa Figaro :)
Just no. Gf's mum had one...

kd

Associate
I know two people who've hit deer - one was in a Smart Roadster, which suffered only some minor paintwork scuffs and needed a new grille. The other had a Honda... VTR1000. The bike was fine - he didn't even come off, the deer wasn't & it ended up with him bringing roadkill pie into work for lunch for weeks.

Its more about angles than anything else, really.

As for suggestions, Alfa 147? The 2.0 should have reasonable amounts of go and as its not the performance-badged model in the range might not be ruinous on the insurance?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/postcode/le129aa/radius/1500?logcode=p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know two people who've hit deer - one was in a Smart Roadster, which suffered only some minor paintwork scuffs and needed a new grille. The other had a Honda... VTR1000. The bike was fine - he didn't even come off, the deer wasn't & it ended up with him bringing roadkill pie into work for lunch for weeks.

Its more about angles than anything else, really.

As for suggestions, Alfa 147? The 2.0 should have reasonable amounts of go and as its not the performance-badged model in the range might not be ruinous on the insurance?

Yeah. I think Deer would be a lot less troublesome if I'd actually experienced it myself surprisingly. I've known a few people who have written off cars before around ours, and have almost hit a couple myself before... It's probably illogical, but something I'm wary of.

I love the idea of owning an Alfa. But am slightly concerned about reliability.

Fiesta ST?
Read OP, already had it as an idea :p

Clio 197 had the same :s

I did consider a Cooper S as well for reference.

All are on consideration lists really, was looking for some curve balls, like the 147 slightly actually, if not for the issue above.

kd

Last edited:
Associate
They aren't that bad, if you get a manual and avoid a "bad one" - although generally reliable the quality control can be a bit spotty so there's the occasional problem car out there, but to be honest they aren't bad - just everyone likes to make an "ooh Alfa reliability" comment even if their Audi has far more problems.

They're high maintenance and suffer if not looked after, which can be a problem with 147s due to them being the pretty little hatchback of the range, but are generally ok - wishbones tend to need doing about ~70,000 miles, cambelts are 36k/3yrs. Cam variators tend to last about ~80,000 before slowly wearing out so generally ought to be done at every second or third cambelt change as a precautionary measure but if they do start to go it takes some serious ignoring to get to the point of causing damage rather than just bhp loss.

Oh, and some garages will read Alfa as "££££", but they aren't any more expensive than other mainstream brands if taken to decent places.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, ok, I'll add it to the considerations list :)

Fiesta ST came in at about £1200 for reference for insurance.

I'm definitely considering it. Just aren't too sure...

Compare the market broke on me when I tried an Alfa or a Suzuki swift.

Don't know what I have against the Suzuki, just not sure I like it...

kd

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sod your requirements and get an MX5 :D

Is comparethemarket.com even remotely accurate when compared to quotes done on insurer's web sites?

Soldato
Compare the market broke on me when I tried an Alfa or a Suzuki swift.

Strange, CtM gives quotes in the >£700 region for me with a Swift Sport. I'm also 21 (well, 20 ATM, but the quotes I'm running are as 21, with 3 years NCB, which all going well will be true of August next year).

How's your postcode? Any NCB?

But yeah, I'll be in a similar position soon, with a similar budget. The following had caught my eye, and are mostly decent on insurance (sub £1000 with the details above, I live in a grade C postcode):
  • Suzuki Swift Sport
  • Mazda MX-5 Mk 2 (maybe a late 2)
  • Renaultsport Twingo
  • Honda Integra Type-R DC2 - bit high on insurance, but I do love them...
  • Toyota Celica (Mk 7)
  • Toyota MR-2 (Mk 3) - also strangely high on insurance

Back
Top Bottom