• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with GPU bios flash

Associate
I have asked for some help with this in my 7970 overclocking thread but I think I can get more help with this specific issue by giving it it's own thread.

To cut a long story short, I flashed one of my 7970 bioses to the 7970 GHz bios, found it gave no improvement and then decided to flash back to the original bios.

However, flashing back didn't work, either with the original bios I saved when I flashed to the GHz bios, or with a bios given to me by another forum member, and now when I try to boot using that bios, I just get a blank screen. I just tried to flash that same bios position using my iGPU as an alternative GPU and this is the screen I got:

img01561.jpg

I do still have one working bios but I am determined to restore this alternate bios. I don't know much about this topic but one thing that caught my eye was the fact that the bios that was originally on the card, that I saved as (oldbios.rom) is exactly twice the size of the bios given to me by another forum member (which is called 'tahiti.rom' in that screenshot), and the fact that it says it wrote 20,000 bits of data at the bottom of that screenshot, but the romsize is 40,000.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Come on OCUK! You are slipping!

I fixed this myself. I copied the bios from my working bios position onto a bootable USB and then tried to flash the 'broken' bios with that and it worked fine.

Associate
OP
Nice one! Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks bro. I think the problem was that when I saved the original bios in DOS, it didn't work for whatever reason (seems like it saved the bios twice, in one file, if that's even possible) so when I tried to flash it back, I was effectively flashing it with a broken bios image.

Soldato
Thanks bro. I think the problem was that when I saved the original bios in DOS, it didn't work for whatever reason (seems like it saved the bios twice, in one file, if that's even possible) so when I tried to flash it back, I was effectively flashing it with a broken bios image.

Sometimes it's good to find a solution to a problem for yourself! It makes it all the more gratifying ;)

Back
Top Bottom