Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game

Associate
Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game

An RPG, RTS, and sandbox space exploration game all-in-one. Explore, trade, build, and fight in a beautiful, procedural universe.

20qyte1.png

Note: Everything is procedurally generated in the game.
The ships , planets and the rest of space itself.
This game has no missions , you make your own fun and there is enough to do without missions.

ome85.png

Ships have hit points on them and you can command a whole fleet from the cockpit of your own ship.
you can for example send ships on patrol , exploration missions and lead them into battle and fight with them or watch the battle
from a safe distance.

you can fly around on the surface of planets also and trade with outposts ect.

zuozsz.png

Read more here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-infinite-procedural-space-game?ref=category

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well he's got more to show for 3 months work than Braben has for over 3 years!

So do the infinity universe people.
These are both beautiful looking games.

Limit Theory is also asking for a reasonable amount of money.
His only mistake is not offering the beta to lower tiers.
I assume he hopes to make up the majority of the money with the higher tiers though.
Going by his video and kick starter page , he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
I would back it if I had the money.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here is another space game known as Infinity universe: the search for earth

Procedural universe:

Procedural programming is a technique that allows the game engine generate objects within game space on-the-fly, in real-time and on request, rather than manually building everything beforehand. Because of this, the generated universe can be absolutely huge, unhindered by the bulky information structures of previous games. In Infinity, the engine allows for the creation of billions of worlds and millions of star systems - the majority of which will never explored by any player, but that await each adventurous soul.

d8pjk.jpg

Seamless planetary engine:

The Infinity engine features a completely seamless experience. You can fly in space and land on planets, traveling directly from deepest ranges of space to the rolling hills and sharp mountainous peaks of a distant planet fluidly, without any loading screens, timer bars, or unnatural transitions. If you can see it, you can fly to it !

An image from the surface of a planet.
21oacdv.jpg

Newtonian physics:

The Infinity engine employs a rigid-body physics system used to simulate the realistic movements of all in-game objects. However, to reduce the stress and boredom of long-distance travel, such journeys will be controlled by each player's individual ship navigation computer, simplifying the redundancy and tediousness of long-range travel. But, even when players engage in combat or manual control, players can choose to have their system automatically adjust amount their ships thruster and inertia to increase the fluidity of movement. Even under manual control mode with navigational assistance deactivated, it will be very easy to travel in space, land on a planet, or dock at any station.

A ship above one of the infinite number of planets you can land on and explore.
bgbp.jpg

Astrophysics: Unlike most other games, Infinity respects the relative scales and distances one could find in space. Realistic orbits are used with each individual planet and celestial object moving in real-time. Many systems have multiple stars with a complete hierarchy of planets, moons, and asteroids orbiting around each other - moons and asteroids in orbit of planets, which in turn orbit stars or other large celestial objects like stars, which in turn may orbit even more massive objects, like black holes and supergiant stars.

Epic space battle above one of the planets you can visit and conquer, yes you can conquer planets.

35lxcb4.jpg

Read more here:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/

Videos:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/In...com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=93

More epic infinity screen shots:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_zoom&catid=1&Itemid=90

Sorry I got carried away, I just think this game is worth a mention.

Last edited:
Associate
Infinity is a fair few years away, they're talking of a kickstarter which they'll use to create a basic combat game which will then mean the full release gets a bit closer. However I think they're still trying to raise most revenue by licensing out their engine.

Associate
OP
Infinity is a fair few years away, they're talking of a kickstarter which they'll use to create a basic combat game which will then mean the full release gets a bit closer. However I think they're still trying to raise most revenue by licensing out their engine.

Infinity is stunning considering a lot of these screen shots were taken in 2006.
I hope they leave their kick starter until next year though , so it has a chance with all the other space games.
Although I say it could very easily hold its own.

Man of Honour
^^ Top image is from 2006 all those screenshots and videos then were 100% faked up.

2nd image I'm not sure if it was from the original set or the 2009 pre-alpha. The bottom 2 images are from the 2011 tech demo.

As far as a fleshed out game thats interesting to play other than a few minutes of novelty its a long long long way off - if it even ever happens.

Associate
OP
^^ Top image is from 2006 all those screenshots and videos then were 100% faked up.

2nd image I'm not sure if it was from the original set or the 2009 tech demo. The bottom 2 images are from the 2011 pre-alpha test.

As far as a fleshed out game thats interesting to play other than a few minutes of novelty its a long long long way off - if it even ever happens.

Well hopefully if they sell their game engine , we will see something more fleshed out from other game companies, if they don't flesh it out themselves.
Their team seems very small , so I worry about this project if someone else does not buy the engine.
For now I will look foreword to and hope limit theory gets made.

Man of Honour
^ Edited my post slightly as I got the pre-alpha the wrong way around. Problem with massive scale procedural generation based space games aside from a very narrow audience most people will very quickly get bored of running into the same thing over and over with slightly different window dressing - while its essential for fleshing out a large scale space based game with current hardware and realistic development time ultimately when the game is focused purely or mostly around it it ends up very very boring.

Back
Top Bottom